St Leonard's Squid, Garfish, King George, Salmon, Tommies & More 6/07/2021

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

St Leonard's Squid, Garfish, King George, Salmon, Tommies & More 6/07/2021

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Quick update on what has been happening this week at St Leonards Pier.

CALAMARI
This week the squid have been very quiet, there has been heavy visible sediment in the water and despite the water cleaning, the squid havn't been on the bite. Night are generally the go-to, with them coming in between 15-30 minutes after last light, but no-go. Managed a few Sunday.

GARFISH
Again the heavy sediment has been making the fishing tough for these mini-marlins, seeing as they prefer it clear. Night has been to best time to chase them, with schools swimming on the surface and right up against the pier. I went last night and was able to net 30 decent sized ones which were on the surface.

SALMON
There have been plenty of salmon trout around when the water is clear, but while it's murky they've been off the bite for plastics.

SUCCESS SPECIES
Since the squid have been quiet, I have been going all out on the other species between 5-6:30pm.
Nights have been incredible for chasing garfish, whiting, salmon trout, tommy rough, yakkas and the occasional pinkie or flathead.
Standing under the big light, I have been using home-made burley blocks which are a mix of breadcrumbs and ground fish, that are upcycled from fish frames/whole fish. Using my telescopic net I have been netting the gars, catching 20, 30 and then 30 three nights in a row with a range of sizes. The bigger ones I am freezing and and using as baits cubed, while the smaller ones are going straight into a grinder. These baits have been solid on the tommies and salmon trout which are actively feeding off the burley and I've had bag out sessions of both species within 1-2 hours. The dirty water has seen the kgw and pinkies come in for the burley, and the by-catch of yakkas is expected.

Heres a video of dolphins chasing salmon under a double rainbow from Monday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkAO6ZslOfY
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”