St Leonard's Mix Species 24/06/2021

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonard's Mix Species 24/06/2021

Post by Andrews » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give a quick update on the fishing quality at St Leonards Pier this fortnight as the school holidays are around the corner, starting tomorrow.

WEATHER
The Weekend looks to bring cooler overcast days brought upon by heavy rain and low cloud on Friday/Saturday morning. These clouds will dissipate by Monday to produce clear skies, warmer sunny days and crisp cold nights before returning to overcast by midweek. North winds will turn to NW winds by Saturday before swinging to SW Sunday, only to return to the N Monday morning. These N winds bring the risk of low clarity, and hopefully those W winds Friday-Sunday keep it clean.

CALAMARI
The Calamari have been very productive with healthy numbers and a diverse range of models. Fishing towards the last light and evenings have been most productive with a majority of the squid hanging around in the calmer and less exposed sections of the pier. This is the inside harbour and the corner edge facing towards the tennis club and casting towards the sand bars have produced the largest majority of squid. White jigs have been most successful jig colour and having an UV Torch has been a favourite as the light levels drop. The squid have been displaying aggressive behaviour and are actively chasing the jigs, but at times appear hesitant to striking over sandy bottoms as opposed to an eel grass bottom. I have fished a few days this week between 5:00pm-6:30pm, with around 20 or so squid caught this fortnight. Here is some footage from the week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C87DBSHisB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRv5m-bJsM

GARFISH
The Garfish have been hang around the outer edge of the pier over the deeper eel grass beds during the past fortnight and have been caught in good numbers depending on conditions. The greatest determining factor has been the water clarity which has made the difference between bag out, and a dozen garfish. The favourite baits have been the larger silverfish and pilchard. Burley has been working well to keep them feeding.

MIXED SPECIES
Amongst the Garfish a diverse range of species have been schooling including Salmon Trout, Tommy Rough, Silver Trevally and Yakkas. These can be caught all within the day, but at night is when they have been coming alive. Under the lights large schools of all these species can be seen swimming or being chased by pike/barracouta. Burley helps keen them active and either unweighted baits or floats are the best methods.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Chilli
Has liked: 8 times

Re: St Leonard's Mix Species 24/06/2021

Post by Chilli » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the useful posts. I am a long time reader of this forum and realise I should try and contribute more, even if it’s just a thanks.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Thanks Chilli, appreciate the kind words. I think the same way, this forum alone has taught me so much.

UPDATE
Water at St Leonards is still quite dirty, this has brought the pinkies on the bite and the kgw at night.
I'll give it a fish tomorrow afternoon with the expectation of it being murky.
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Andrews wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:40 pm
Water at St Leonards is still quite dirty, this has brought the pinkies on the bite and the kgw at night.
Yeah I was wondering about the water clarity.

Despite dirty water, you still managed to get few squid. Well done squid master :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:40 am

Sebb wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 pm
Andrews wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:40 pm
Yeah I was wondering about the water clarity.

Despite dirty water, you still managed to get few squid. Well done squid master :tu:
Yeah, it has cleared up quite a lot overnight with the W winds, there are still a few pinkies and salmon around.
Bringing the squid jigs, few slugs and plastics.

Should be a nice session today/tomorrow.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”