St Leonard's Fishing Report 17/06/2021

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

St Leonard's Fishing Report 17/06/2021

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:50 pm

Hey everyone,
A quick update on the fishing quality from my experience fishing three nights this week at St Leonards land-based.
Best of luck for anyone heading down this weekend, or next with school holidays on the approach.

Condtions have been mixed, with a blend of winds from the NE and S, causing a diverse range claritites from mud brown chocolate milk to clean tides.

CALAMARI
This week the calamari have been slow to produce and when caught, they are far and few between with smaller size models. With such a diverse range of clairities (clear, mud brown, cleaner-murky) in a single week, they have moved into deeper water. During the nights, even when seen it is an effort to make them bite and I am putting this down to the enormous amount of baitfish (baby salmon, garfish and tommies) in the shallows. The squid are well fed, and not keen.

During the days, bright colours have been working best while at night white jigs (with glow) have been outfishing other colours.

Managed three solid squid on the 17th, with about 5 caught between four. Video and pics included.
IMG_0103.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KCcFNh5y4

GARFISH:
The garfish are around and in strong numbers, the biggest determining factor for them biting has been the water clairity.
Had a bumper session on the Monday, managaed to bag out in the evening (2 hour sesion) using silverfish (the big ones - which are avaliable through Mario's Bait and tackle in Moolap, or Mortimer Petrol in Drysdale). Silverfish and pilchard have been working best on a float about 80cm or so deep. Burley has been a make or break for them, I used breadcrumbs, garlic power and tuna oil. Size of Gars.
IMG_0076.jpg
KING GEORGE WHITING
Nights have been the go-to for the KGW and they have been pushing up into the shallows. The pier is alight, but casting from the beach between the pier and boat ramp (next to tennis courts) has been the most productive. They've been sitting in the dark water at around 1M depth, managed about a dozen or so this week in a single 2 hour session.

SALMON
Smaller Salmon trout have been caught on the rockwall facing outwards, on the cleaner tides. Best baits have been some oily pilchard, tommy, or yakkas cubed. Tried with slugs, not success - but at night in the lights, managed two 1kg+ models on the 15g slug. Silver has been working best over the blue-ish ones.

MIXED SPECIES
Seen plenty of tommies, and barracoota at night, yakkas have been schooling and circling, caught a few on unweighted and smaller 6g slugs.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: St Leonard's Fishing Report 17/06/2021

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Nice, thanks for the reports. I went to St Leonards this morning, very quiet/slow. Water was a bit dirty. Didn't stay long. Need couple more days to clear up maybe.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:53 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:34 pm
Nice, thanks for the reports. I went to St Leonards this morning, very quiet/slow. Water was a bit dirty. Didn't stay long. Need couple more days to clear up maybe.
No worries Sebb, no good that there wasn't much action in the morning. I think too because of the run out tide it would have been murkier, the run-ins later in the day/evenings have been a lot cleaner. I'll give it a fish tomorrow and then a few times in the week depending on winds. See what happens.
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:53 am

great report mate. with the big silverfish which seem to be the only ones available. how much do you put on the hook? with the small silverfish usually use close to half but the bigger ones are way too big to be doing that i would've thought. thanks

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:39 am

Nice report and well done.
I went for the gars the other day as well but the water was too murky. Thinking of giving it another crack maybe today 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:36 am

Cheers Matt, yeah - they ended up banning the smaller silverfish due to them carrying some disease I think it was white spot and the concern was introducing it into Victoria. The bigger ones I cut into cubes, and only put one on the hook, or one and a tail as a teaser. Works great!

Yeah, hey best of luck Lightningx! Feel free to say hello if you see me down there today, spot the guy with the huge net and red esky haha! Oh and dressed for winter! haha

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:18 am

Used Silverfish chopped in small pieces to get 9 Gars near the entrance to the St Leonards Harbour this mornin
Still very dirty

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 am

denis barden wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:18 am
Used Silverfish chopped in small pieces to get 9 Gars near the entrance to the St Leonards Harbour this mornin
Still very dirty
Not too bad! Yeah has been a little murky, I fished Sunday evening and managed to get eight gars and two salmon trout. Then went for squid at dusk for eight smaller models between 5-6:30pm.

Snuck down last night, hooked once nice one in the harbour by shallower side (platform) and then another four towards dusk. Should put a post up tonight. Huge numbers of gars at night, school of 100+ and hundreds of tommy roughs! Short session last night.

Nihal Saifan
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Nihal Saifan » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:48 am

great report mate. with the big silverfish which seem to be the only ones available. how much do you put on the hook? with the small silverfish usually use close to half but the bigger ones are way too big to be doing that i would've thought.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:13 pm

Nihal Saifan wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:48 am
great report mate. with the big silverfish which seem to be the only ones available. how much do you put on the hook? with the small silverfish usually use close to half but the bigger ones are way too big to be doing that i would've thought.
Thanks Nihal,

Yeah, the smaller ones they stopped importanting since they had a white spot (disease) risk being imported.

The bigger ones I cut into ~1cm cubes, just a little square and thread it through both lobes of the fish. Helps it keep it's shape, if the gars are picky I will add a tail/head to the cube for better bait presentation. Should be able to get 5+ baits per silverfish.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”