St Leonard's snapper 15/5/2021

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

St Leonard's snapper 15/5/2021

Post by hornet » Mon May 10, 2021 10:03 am

I witnessed a 6 or 7 kg snapper netted at st leonards pier Saturday night.
I didn't get a picture as the guy was in a hurry walking quickly to get it to his car for some reason ?
As it was being netted he said he saw at least a half dozen possibly more of it's mates swirling around it's hooked mate.
Very impressive fish ! I saw no more caught only that one, the school moved on ?

Good numbers of big whiting caught. We caught a bearded cod ? and a small gummy thrown back to small.

Note:I used a bright green LED 12volt light with car battery in the water and only attracted those two huge rays that hang around that pier.
They tried to eat it ! so much for squid attracting light...

Those things must be 300 - 400 kg ! 5 feet plus across the wings both with no tails, no idea how you would hold them to cut their tails off let alone get to the boat !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

denis barden

Re: St Leonard's snapper 15/5/2021

Post by denis barden » Mon May 10, 2021 2:33 pm

True or not true-I was told by a pro that when the skates/rays get caught in the nets its quicker to chop their tail off and throw them back into the water-Thats why there are a few stumpies around.
Long Liners have lately been cleaning up on the snapper out far from Prince George Bank-Indented Head

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 pm

You know whats hillarious, I've been up Docklands all week and within 24 hours of that snapper being landed I heard about it!
It shows you, word spreads fast between fisherman! Would have been an awesome sight to see!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 am

denis barden wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:33 pm
True or not true-I was told by a pro that when the skates/rays get caught in the nets its quicker to chop their tail off and throw them back into the water-Thats why there are a few stumpies around.
Long Liners have lately been cleaning up on the snapper out far from Prince George Bank-Indented Head
Yes that is true. When I was a Danish seine fisher, the method of dealing with a large ray on the deck was:
Crew approach from behind and grab the end of the tail,to stop it flicking. Other crew cut off the tail just Infront of the barb. Then it was safe to lift over the side. Often they were so big it required 2-3 people. On s few occasions we even needed a crane.
Stingrays were never kept. Only skate were sent to market. ( Just the wings)
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”