St Leonards - Smashing the Calamari (BAG OUT)

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

St Leonards - Smashing the Calamari (BAG OUT)

Post by Andrews » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Koling wada-ngal.

This is a welcome to everyone in my traditional language, Waddawurrung, who are the traditional owners of the Bellarine and means 'welcome, let us walk together'.

I'll be using little snippets of traditional language from now on because it's super interesting! You'd be surprised to with the names we have for marine creatures.

Now to the fishing!
The past few days have been wild for calamari land-based and they have been coming in THICK and FAST.
THIS spot worked amazing, it is between the last two free standing pylons at the end near the bin and pier curve.
St-Leonards-Drone-037-scaled (1).JPG
Monday 26/04/2021 - Overcast Evening (90% cloud), low SW/W winds, crystal clear water, full moon on a dropping tide.
I had a gut feeling that this was going to be good session and started with a darker coloured jig, a olive/rainbow foil yamashita. This jig was my favourite last winter and it would soon prove itself.
IMG_8967 (1).jpg
First cast in a favourite spot towards the end of the pier and two decent squid follow the jig, and WHAM we are on!
The bigger one was first and then his buddy followed.
IMG_8786.jpg
This had me excited, and it wouldn't be long as this trend continued. I noticed that these squid only attacked the jig when it was close to the bottom, they wouldn't touch it higher up in the water column! This explains a lot, I know they've been hunting KGW as they can been seen in the shallows.

Just as the sun began to set, we are on again! Not a monster, but a nice one!
IMG_8725 (1).jpg
As the DUSK set in, the squid came in THICK & FAST! Huge school of 15+ moved in and we started pulling them in like wild fire! ONE HOUR and I was bagged out and with three mates we managed 25 calamari. The difference between us and the blokes either side of us, was the jig depth! Right on the BOTTOM! They were keeping it high playing funny with the squid while we were laying ink.
IMG_8948 (1).jpg
Gave away these squid to a friends family, they love calamari.

Tuesday 27/04/2021 - Clear Skies evening, light S winds, crystal clear with a full pink moon and high rising tide.
IMG_8718 (1).jpg
Back out chasing the calamari and within a single cast two decent squid followed it in! Funny enough, they took one taste and they dipped - made me laugh! Knowing they'd fire up on dusk and the minute that moon rose they'd dip and spread out.
IMG_8963 (1).jpg
Kept focusing the drop off and within 15 minutes I was on the board with a tiny squid! The one bigger!
IMG_8960.jpg
Just happens that he brought a few mates - about eight mates. I caught FIVE of the eight, ending on SEVEN Squid Once than moon rose I was out, stunning moon though! Should be a killer session tomorrow, which I'll be passing up on haha.
IMG_8977.jpg
ADVICE FOR ANYONE KEEN
Darker jigs, towards the end along the wood, closer to the bin between the last two free standing pylons casting straight towards Indented. Sink deep and there is a sandy spot you can see the squid before striking, goodluck!

Oh and follow my Instagram if you haven't already @ FishingAndrew
Cheers ;)
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: St Leonards - Smashing the Calamari (BAG OUT)

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:57 pm

Oh mate, I think I will get myself one of that squid jig. Seems to be always doing the job well.

Great to meet you few weeks ago btw. I assume you haven't moved to Docklands yet?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: St Leonards - Smashing the Calamari (BAG OUT)

Post by Andrews » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:59 am

Cheers Sebb! Great meeting you too!
I really like this jig, has a nice darker profile and silhouette which I’ve found works well in low light.

Nah not yet, getting the keys tomorrow and by the weekend will have officially moved! Past two nights I wanted to sneak out before the move haha!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”