St Leonards Calamari 12/03/2021

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

St Leonards Calamari 12/03/2021

Post by Andrews » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share a quick report highlighting the incredible fishing we've had this week @ St Leonards Pier.
Next week looks to have some incredible weather with low S early week winds keeping the water clean before swinging to the E.

Wednesday 10th, Fished 5:10PM-6:30PM, clean low run out tide with a light S wind. Partly cloudy with a deep orange setting sun.

All week the squid have been firing up right on that low setting sun, with the light S wind and dropping tide I decided to focus my effort on the shallows. Casting into the wind allowed me to fish where the small juvenile baitfish are being blown in and rather than sitting on the exposed sand bar, they get caught into this weedy point ready to be ambushed. Pulled out 4 squid over 30CM+ in these two spots over the past fortnight.
St-Leonards-Drone-037-scaled.jpg
I went with my favourite Yamashita Orange/Rainbow Foil for it's bright orange (matching the sunset) and the foil which produces an irregular flash.
IMG_8313.JPEG
Five casts in and I had my jig sitting by the pier as I felt this solid tug, then nothing. This made me think there was a nice squid sitting under the pylons, so I cast out and tip-run the jig in before letting it sit like a bait fish searching for cover. The squid came up from behind and grabbed the jig, pulling it under the pier! It put up an awesome fight, as I got it to the surface I was happy with the size, even more so when it was on the pier. This chunky squid measured 32CM.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6iCO7AkGz8

I managed a few smaller 20s hoods after this, but ended up giving them all away to a friend. I was more fishing for fun.
IMG_8440.JPEG

Friday 12th, Fished 5:30PM-7:30PM, super clean run in tide with a light N/E wind. Super deep orange wind and the squid fired up!

Walked up and first cast went with a natural pilchard jig as the sun was high and collected a smaller squid for bait knowing my friend would be chasing some kgw tonight.
I ended up moving deeper as the tide was quite high and it was only until the sun was deep into setting before the squid fired up!
IMG_8483.JPEG
Once the sun started getting low the squid moved in, they started small and I ended up catching two smaller ones before I saw this solid shadow stalking my jig! Right as the jig hit the sand, so did the squid! Wham! We are on! This thumper pulled nicely, and I was again impressed seeing him up close! A solid 35CM Hood!
Squid35CM.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNowsUwAbjk
IMG_8501.JPEG
This sparked the feeding frenzy as the smaller ~15cm hoods came in, I saw at least another 7 caught between six and I ended up catching another 3 smaller hoods. Again, I saw a slightly bigger shadow and this squid pounced the jig at least a foot under the surface! This was a nice 27CM hood.
]

I ended up catching 8 squid before heading home, I gave them all away to another friend who wanted a feed for his family. Should have plenty of rings from those squid!
Last edited by Andrews on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: St Leonards Calamari 12/03/2021

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm gonna have to come down there one day with some Yamashita jigs. I'll say hi if I see you.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:07 pm

You certainly have st Leonards nailed great report as usual

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for posting. Infotaining read on a wet and windy East Gippsland arvo. Never caught a squid and assume that Port Welshpool pier would be my nearest squid haunt coming from Paynesville?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:30 am

Great report as always mate.
Some really nice pics as well.
Enjoyed the vids!
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:12 pm

@Sebb, Cheers! Yeah for sure, the squid have been firing up but mid-winter I reckon will be prime action!

@Nude Up, thanks Nude Up! haha, yeah plenty of hours spent on that pier now and I reckon it's making the difference! This session 90% of the squid were sight casted, I think having that practice seeing and watching for movement has made all the difference.

@Pirkz, I can't say I'm familiar with the area but I reckon 100% you'd get squid off there. Looks like it's holding solid weed for the squid.

@Lightningx, thanks! Always love a good ripper session!
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:14 pm

Fished there last night, ended with four squid two bigger 25+ and two smaller 20cm+.
Saw another two small ones caught, quieter than Friday.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”