St Leonard's Report 7/01/2021

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonard's Report 7/01/2021

Post by Andrews » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:58 pm

Happy New Years Everyone!

I wanted to give you all an update on the current fishing at St Leonard's Pier.
King George Whiting remain a favourite at the pier with large schools in both the day and night with nights being more productive on the bite.
Calamari are very quiet and for the past few weeks remained in low numbers and been unproductive. They've been moving deeper and more towards the heads to lay their eggs.
Trevally and salmon are active, trevally schooling under the pier and the occasional salmon chasing squid jigs.
Flatheads are around but aren't as active while the water is relatively cool @ 18C, next few hot days will help fire them up in the shallows.

Thursday morning 9:00-11:30AM, hazy overcast dissipating as the sun rose to clear skies. Deep green clear high/run out tide. Light winds from the S turning to the E.
IMG_7653.JPEG
Squid #1
Hazy clouds making the clear water a dark colour, went with a bright colour until the clouds lifted.
First few casts and were on!
IMG_7450.JPEG
Squid #2
Clouds lifted bringing clear skies and the sun lightened up the water. I saw a few nice schools of KGW moving through and went to the white jig.
IMG_7644.JPEG
Squid #3
Few casts later targeting that sandy drop off between the weed beds and this squid smashed this jig.
IMG_7668.JPEG
Squid #4
They went quiet for an hour or two, muscle memory had me strike this one.
IMG_7279.JPEG

Time to get some KGW.
Swapped over to a weightless rig, two split shots with a single longshank and waited for the KGW to swim through. Cast ahead of them and we're on! Caught another 3 before someone came running over with a massive sinker, cast right onto of them spooking the whole school. Laughed pretty hard at this because he annoyed that he didn't get any.
IMG_4702.JPEG
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”