St Leonards Calamari 11/11/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonards Calamari 11/11/2020

Post by Andrews » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Hey Everyone,

As Melburnian's are free to travel as the weather warms the Bellarine becomes one of the most popular places to visit and chase land based calamari. I will be keeping everyone updated on the squidding over the next few months.

Yamashita released an amazing video titled 'Predation Action' this week which looks at the way squid attacks it's prey depending on the sinking and action of the prey. This knowledge is key to being a better squid fisherman! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-88rOW ... ariaGlobal

St Leonards has plenty of calamari around at the moment with the large models 30CM+ moving into deeper water. This has allowed for the smaller squid to move right into the pier with larger numbers being caught with the best success being before/after high tide with a light wind and clear water.
Since they're smaller, they have been more hesitant and the difference between catching them and going home hungry is super slow, long sinks.
IMG_6833.JPEG
Snuck out Sunday 8/11/2020, light southern winds and a semi-murky tide.
Squid were super hesitant, I could feel them softly tapping the jig without striking. The low activity pushed me to using three hops, and then a long slow sink. Hooked up into three smaller squid for dinner. Had people either side of me casting the same spot and I think they were not giving the squid enough time. We all know how they touch the jig a few times before striking, same thing was happening here.
IMG_6405.JPEG
Returned Monday 9/11/2020, 2pM on a low run in tide, light east winds with a clear sunny day.
Again, squid were low activity despite being in the area. They were around and tapping the jigs, but not enough to hook up. Pier was pretty busy, easily 20 people and between 2pm-3pm I saw four squid caught. I caught two and my friend caught two. Despite everyone casting the same patch of weed, the same side, the same everything, I would say the sink made the difference. The science says that squid have preference to attack a sinking jig, they also attack the jig differently depending on how it sinks. We should use that to our advantage when they are high or low activity.
IMG_6838.JPEG
IMG_6844.JPEG
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: St Leonards Calamari 11/11/2020

Post by Texas » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Great report and photos Andrews
And some great information
If you had a boat, you'd be bagging out
Gra

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 pm

Great stuff mate,
I went down monday morning to no avail,
few locals of the pier got nothing as well, for the 2 hours I was there none were caught between the 10-15 people having a go.
Water was really murky from the easterly.
Decided to head down in evening again around 7pm to see 60 people at least casting jigs everywhere.
Water looked cleaner so I fit myself into a gap and bang first cast haha a nice squid for the pier.
Thought that was a sign of things to come, boy was I wrong. about an hour later managed a small one after 6 jig changes.
From the masses of people, only seen 5 other squid pulled up which was strange.
Had a few followers and I could bet that there are heaps of squid around the pier, just really finnicky due to dirty water possibly?
Both squid i caught come on a super slow retrieve hence why smaller jigs 2.2 -2.5 worked on the day.
From what i'm told, they should fire this weekend after a couple of westerlies roll through.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks Texas! I couldn't agree more, but with a boat they'd become some expensive calamari!

Yeah, that was my thinking too which is why I hoped by 2PM the sediment would have dropped, plus it's always clearer on the low tide.
I'm not surprised it got that busy and it's refreshing to see knowing that it'll support the local economy.

I think it's a mixture of both, I always find the smaller ones to be more hesitant and with that many people casting, understandably so. They'd be getting bombarded with jigs swimming past. They're definitely around, quite a few of the smaller ones are on eggs which would also suggest the low activity. Yeah smaller jigs work well, anything between the 2-3.0 mark is perfect.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday are all swing between W, WSW and WNW, that should create clear conditions. Saturday, Friday being the best days, Friday will be a bit windier, but since the pier is sheltered the wind will be lower than predicted. Overcast conditions, but hopefully that turns into partly cloudy.
Saturday is the better day, lower winds potential to glass out which isn't the best for squid. You need that water movement, I'd pick 1-5PM for the best conditions, you've got the high tide at 1:20PM and the run out until 7PM. Between 2-3PM the wind will snap from a light W to a stronger SW and then S. That increase in water movement and wind should hopefully fire them up. Feel free to say hello, I'll be easy to pick wearing a tan brimmed sunhat haha.
Screenshot_19.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:55 am

Nice catch once again mate!
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:07 am

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:55 am
Nice catch once again mate!
Cheers 👍🏻
Thanks Lightningx!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:21 am

well done once again. top job..

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”