St Leonards Calamari 2/11/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonards Calamari 2/11/2020

Post by Andrews » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Hey everyone,

The suns is out and the warm weather is upon us which marks my favourite conditions to be out land based squidding.
Fished todays afternoon 1:30PM-3:30PM, full sun, crystal clear water with a run-in tide.
Squid have been quiet the past few days, mainly smaller models and they've gone off the bite a little.
IMG_6793.JPEG
Spoke to a few people who had been there hours without a single squid, but I had my optimism knowing what the squid were after.

Ten casts in and we're on to this nice hood, this one struck the jig a few times before going in for the attack. The smaller ones aren't as game, so the slow sink and rest has been given them plenty of time to strike.
IMG_6729.JPEG
IMG_6727.JPEG
Ten casts later using those slow sinks, whipping before the sand drop off and whack, this nice squid grabs the jig. As it's coming closer to the pier I see he's being follow by one, after netting and lifting I cast out and his friend comes swimming over before grabbing the jig. Turns out they were a couple one male and the other a female.
IMG_6800.JPEG
IMG_6805.JPEG
Three squid for dinner and I called it a day, might swing down Friday.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: St Leonards Calamari 2/11/2020

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Andrews wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm
Hey everyone,

The suns is out and the warm weather is upon us which marks my favourite conditions to be out land based squidding.
Fished todays afternoon 1:30PM-3:30PM, full sun, crystal clear water with a run-in tide.
Squid have been quiet the past few days, mainly smaller models and they've gone off the bite a little.
IMG_6793.JPEG

Spoke to a few people who had been there hours without a single squid, but I had my optimism knowing what the squid were after.

Ten casts in and we're on to this nice hood, this one struck the jig a few times before going in for the attack. The smaller ones aren't as game, so the slow sink and rest has been given them plenty of time to strike.IMG_6729.JPEG IMG_6727.JPEG

Ten casts later using those slow sinks, whipping before the sand drop off and whack, this nice squid grabs the jig. As it's coming closer to the pier I see he's being follow by one, after netting and lifting I cast out and his friend comes swimming over before grabbing the jig. Turns out they were a couple one male and the other a female.IMG_6800.JPEGIMG_6805.JPEG

Three squid for dinner and I called it a day, might swing down Friday.
Good session mate. I noticed a lot of the squid I was catching were small as well, not sure why.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:00 am

Very nice. Well done.
Usually the big couple caught during Aug-Sept when they spawn and during warm months are the smaller ones.
Nice weather, good couple squid, it's a great day out :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:59 am

Nice one!

Andrews, what is your thoughts on jig size?
I would say 90% of my jigs are 3.0 and i pretty rarely go to a different size, almost never a bigger size thats for sure. Do you have a collection of sizes that you muck around with or do you just stick to whatever size you think is good for the conditions/depth etc??

Very interested to hear about this.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:26 am

Nice mate 😃
Well done and enjoy the feed!
Cheers 👍🏻

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Great outing mate..

I ended up going for a squid bash and landed about 6, almost forgot how to squid its been that long!!

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Thanks Irish! I've noticed the same, a fortnight ago they were all bigger models and now we're getting the smaller ones. Still a bit quiet off St Leonards right now.

Couldn't agree more Sebb, it's always a good day out with a feed of squid.

Great question Steveo, I fish exclusively with 3.0 because I feel it's a nice sink rate and a nice sized profile. You'll get both those bigger and smaller squids. I fish between 2M-5M depending on the tides and every ~30mins I'll check the depth and count the seconds sinking. If it's 8 seconds to the bottom, I'll add on a +3,+4,+5 seconds depending how far my cast out is to adjust for the sink. I just adjust the amount of time between actions depending on the depth and that works great, also helps if the squid are on fire, or super heistant.

Thanks Lightningx! Love getting my squid.

Thanks Purple5ive, that's awesome! It's definitely a bit of fun and a learning curve that is for sure!
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am

Andrews wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 pm
Great question Steveo, I fish exclusively with 3.0 because I feel it's a nice sink rate and a nice sized profile. You'll get both those bigger and smaller squids. I fish between 2M-5M depending on the tides and every ~30mins I'll check the depth and count the seconds sinking. If it's 8 seconds to the bottom, I'll add on a +3,+4,+5 seconds depending how far my cast out is to adjust for the sink. I just adjust the amount of time between actions depending on the depth and that works great, also helps if the squid are on fire, or super heistant.
I use 3.0 for the same reasons pretty much. And they seem to work fine in the water i fish for squid which even though i fish from a boat i am still fishing similar depths to you.. 2m out to maybe 10m.

Also i have enough jigs as it is without throwing different sizes into the mix too.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:47 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am
Andrews wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 pm
I use 3.0 for the same reasons pretty much. And they seem to work fine in the water i fish for squid which even though i fish from a boat i am still fishing similar depths to you.. 2m out to maybe 10m.

Also i have enough jigs as it is without throwing different sizes into the mix too.
I couldn't agree more and that's why I always recommend size 3.0, the weight to profile size is really nice and adaptable enough that you can adjust the sink time in a range of depths,

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”