Father’s Day off portarlington

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Father’s Day off portarlington

Post by Nude up » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:50 pm

My son and I launched around 9 after a big breakfast as we say in England the full Monty. We headed up to indented head our favourite spot for squid, the water was a bit murky so all the jigs had rattles In, an hour in not a touch Then suddenly the sleeper rod between us goes off dad was to quick so I bring that one in as it goes in the net my rod goes off so I bring that one in.
As it gets close I can see another following it so as it slipped into the net I quickly flicked my jig out and within seconds I am on again 3 in quick succession then 5 more drifts nothing.
We decide to go and find some flathead but they were proving to be elusive, we tried several of our usual spots for nothing not even small ones last chance the spoil grounds very slow we picked up 3 around the 32 cm Mark 2 on bait 1 on soft plastic.

As we returned to the ramp I put the squid in a scaler bag and dragged them behind the boat a guy at the ramp had told me that’s what he does then when he gets to the ramp they are clean. I just wish he had told me what speed he was doing because I went about 1 klm then I saw the bag burst and I found out dead squid don’t float very disappointing.

It was a cracking day on the water a bit choppy but not a real issue we were home by 2pm. Sorry I have no photos I was so disappointed about the squid I forgot.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Father’s Day off portarlington

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 am

Nude up wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:50 pm
My son and I launched around 9 after a big breakfast as we say in England the full Monty. We headed up to indented head our favourite spot for squid, the water was a bit murky so all the jigs had rattles In, an hour in not a touch Then suddenly the sleeper rod between us goes off dad was to quick so I bring that one in as it goes in the net my rod goes off so I bring that one in.
As it gets close I can see another following it so as it slipped into the net I quickly flicked my jig out and within seconds I am on again 3 in quick succession then 5 more drifts nothing.
We decide to go and find some flathead but they were proving to be elusive, we tried several of our usual spots for nothing not even small ones last chance the spoil grounds very slow we picked up 3 around the 32 cm Mark 2 on bait 1 on soft plastic.

As we returned to the ramp I put the squid in a scaler bag and dragged them behind the boat a guy at the ramp had told me that’s what he does then when he gets to the ramp they are clean. I just wish he had told me what speed he was doing because I went about 1 klm then I saw the bag burst and I found out dead squid don’t float very disappointing.

It was a cracking day on the water a bit choppy but not a real issue we were home by 2pm. Sorry I have no photos I was so disappointed about the squid I forgot.

thats such a sad end to that story :(

Hope u had a nice day out :tu:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:13 am

You've gifted your squid to all the fish fathers down there, your such a generous man Nude up. Glad you got to get out for a fish with your dad mate, I'm so jelly lol :ch:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:26 am

Bad luck about the squid mate.
At least you get to head out onto the water.
I can’t wait to take mine out again.
Cheers 👍🏻

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:40 am

S#$t luck smokin,at least you get to go fishing unlike us mentally anguished fishos in Melbourne

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Nude Up, when i use the squid bag i get the boat on the plane then just a touch quicker, and sit the bag in the first wave of the wake. Works a treat...even tenderises em ready for the pan!

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”