Barwon Heads Kingfish

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Ryguy
Has liked: 13 times

Barwon Heads Kingfish

Post by Ryguy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Went straight out past the bluff today and started off by catching a few mackerel in about 30m of water at sunrise. Started a drift close to the wrecks in about 50m with two live baits (ball sinker to swivel with short leader and 7/0 in top jaw) got them down about mid water, I also put out 2 twisted p noster rigs with circle 6/0 hooks. Nothing for the first 45min other than a small pinkie and parody..... I then put out the chum ( cubes of old mackerel and squid with pilly pellets and brought in a rod with live bait as it had died and started jigging. Within 15min p noster rigs were screaming at the same time and collected catch on both and put them back in... back to jigging. The one remaining live bait got hit shortly after along with the other two rigs soon followed again. Still haven't got the monster in the school or any by jigging but ill always take what i can get. 60cm - 65cm all on fresh mackerel dead and one alive. Changed jigs multiple times weights and colours no luck.
Attachments
IMG_0470.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Barwon Heads Kingfish

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Nice report with a top catch.
Well done :thumbsup:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Nice !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Awesome. You used Omo, the secret ingredient? Guess you dont need to clean the catch. :thumbsup: Clever stuff.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Ryguy wrote:Went straight out past the bluff today and started off by catching a few mackerel in about 30m of water at sunrise. Started a drift close to the wrecks in about 50m with two live baits (ball sinker to swivel with short leader and 7/0 in top jaw) got them down about mid water, I also put out 2 twisted p noster rigs with circle 6/0 hooks. Nothing for the first 45min other than a small pinkie and parody..... I then put out the chum ( cubes of old mackerel and squid with pilly pellets and brought in a rod with live bait as it had died and started jigging. Within 15min p noster rigs were screaming at the same time and collected catch on both and put them back in... back to jigging. The one remaining live bait got hit shortly after along with the other two rigs soon followed again. Still haven't got the monster in the school or any by jigging but ill always take what i can get. 60cm - 65cm all on fresh mackerel dead and one alive. Changed jigs multiple times weights and colours no luck.
Cant complain with a catch like that
Well done

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Brownie wrote:Awesome. You used Omo, the secret ingredient? Guess you dont need to clean the catch. :thumbsup: Clever stuff.
Haha that’s a good one.

Ryguy
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ryguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 am

:rofl:
Brownie wrote:Awesome. You used Omo, the secret ingredient? Guess you dont need to clean the catch. :thumbsup: Clever stuff.

flickinwithoz

Post by flickinwithoz » Thu May 05, 2022 7:38 pm

Ive done pretty well on kingfish in the past on lures got a couple of videos on it aswell if you are interested, https://youtu.be/QQebXbATaGc Great Catch :tu:

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”