Day of firsts for me

Cunningham Pier, Limeburners Lagoon
Lennykravitz
Has liked: 11 times

Day of firsts for me

Post by Lennykravitz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:01 pm

Headed out to Clifton Springs for the first time in the kayak today. I should point out that I’m a big fan (member) of Alan from Fishing Mad. I like his style of fishing and have enjoyed watching a fair bit of his channel which has so far been worthwhile for me. Aimed my turtlebacks at sandy patches amongst the weed beds in anticipation. Started getting hits instantly, first hook up felt small without much resistance but not my target species - 32cm Garfish, maybe a fluke, but well hooked. This was followed by a couple of undersized pinkies and whiting. Decided to venture out a little further and change to a different worm and Bang! In came my first keeper and it felt big, looked bigger, I was thinking 40cm plus…. But after a decent fight I was on the board with a 40cm KGW 😛

Unfortunately it engulfed my little assist hook which took a bit of retrieval while I was drifting away. I managed to find a couple more decent ones and a couple closer to the 30cm range.

Might now need to also invest in a kayak anchor which I’m hoping will make my sessions more productive. But not too bad considering I’ve never fished the area before or caught a KGW either.

I think I’ll make my first attempt at filleting and frying tomorrow 👍
Attachments
Whiting  3 Small.jpeg
Whiting 3 Small.jpeg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Day of firsts for me

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:24 pm

Good effort and rewarded, well done.
Yeah I like Clifton Springs on kayak. Heaps of squid there too btw.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Day of firsts for me

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:16 am

Well done mate!
Tasty feed coming up!
Cheers 👍🏻