Geelong waterfront "fishing farm" with not many fish

Cunningham Pier, Limeburners Lagoon
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Geelong waterfront "fishing farm" with not many fish

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:10 pm

I was gonna do another trout fishing but a mate saw few reports off Geelong waterfront landbased, so we went there early morning.

Didn't realise Alan Fishing Mad posted a YouTube of him catching few fish there few days ago. So I got there early morning and it was like a fishing farm, people everywhere, from newbies with kmart rods to experienced fishos with shiny gears.

Great to see few kids with shiny gears (they looked like locals) and fishing with lures with confidence. Some with their father, flicking plastics.

The morning was cold and frosty, grass was crisp. But there's definitely something magical during that golden hour of sunrise. Unfortunately there wasn't many fish caught. It was just "too nice" to be out fishing and usually the fishing is hard in that condition.

Time fished: 7am-9:15am
Weather: near 0° to about 7°
Moon: 3% full, rise at 8:30am
Tide: running out, lowest 10am
Wind: almost none, was like 3-5km N wind
Water clarity: superb. I could see all sorts of stuff on the bottom, from Coles' trolleys to bicycle, car tyre to plastic buckets.

Apart from a guy fishing with 4 rods (pilchard cube bait, 8-9ft rods, 4/0 baitholder hook, 2 oz sinker) caught about 4-5 pinkies, I didn't see anyone else with much luck. One man caught a small salmon and another man with a small pinkie.

That guy with 4 rods definitely landed undersized pinkies and put them all into a plastic bag. I went there and asked if they were a good size. He said 28-30cm. I saw, and one was about the border of 28cm, the rest definitely smaller than 28cm.
He knew the minimum size, so he definitely knew what he was doing. I told him fisheries often come around and check (to scare him), he gave advise to me to fish diff spots in response to my comment.
Soon I walked away, he was on a phone and a Mercedes SUV came minutes later (probably his mate). He passed on a the plastic bag with fish in it and back fishing.

I was gonna call 13FISH and capture the number plate of the Merc, but the car drove away quickly. Fisheries won't make it in time. Oh well, at least I did scare him off, seemed to be working. Pretty sure he'd be careful with his next catches knowing someone can always keep a look out and can report him anytime.

Apart from that, I landed a 26cm pinkie on my bream gear. 1-3kg rod, 2000 reel, 6lb line. 20mm plastic with 1/20 jighead head. Coffee for me and bought one my for my mate, and drove back home in time to take Mrs to go shopping.
IMG_20220730_190615_compress97.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: Geelong waterfront "fishing farm" with not many fish

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:18 pm

Bad luck Sebb, it doesn't help when the area is saturated on Youtube. The best spot down there is a bit of a secret but you'll work it out if you like swimming

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:18 pm
Bad luck Sebb, it doesn't help when the area is saturated on Youtube. The best spot down there is a bit of a secret but you'll work it out if you like swimming
Yup.
I know where that is. Two kids told me they were there in the morning and got kicked out, as you know why.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:22 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:18 pm
Yup.
I know where that is. Two kids told me they were there in the morning and got kicked out, as you know why.

There is also a woman there who abuses fishos and threatens to dob them in. It's best at night

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:39 pm

Yeah, sounds like Geelong waterfront is getting hammered these days, shame the fish weren't on the bite!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:09 pm

good one seb, appreciate the detail in your reports!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:26 am

This time of year it's best to chase gars early in thr orning first light.
While your fishing for gars chuck another rod out for big snapper and have another rod ready with a metal slug onit, for when the salmon come in.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:35 am

cant you only use 2 rods when fishing? or is that only for fresh water? if you had 2 bait rods out and salmon come in, you would have to wind in one of your bait rods to chuck the slug? I'm probably wrong here...

bowl

Post by bowl » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:52 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:35 am
cant you only use 2 rods when fishing? or is that only for fresh water? if you had 2 bait rods out and salmon come in, you would have to wind in one of your bait rods to chuck the slug? I'm probably wrong here...
4 salt 2 fresh

bowl

Post by bowl » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:47 pm

2 small salmon .fished 10 to 12
FB_IMG_1659336346936.jpg

Return to “Geelong - Corio Bay”