a few trip reports

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

a few trip reports

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:03 pm

It's been a while. I haven't done much fishing in the last 6 months, and a lot of what I did do was landbased rather than from the yak. I've been spending most of my weekends up to now looking for deer, unfortunately the closest I got was a couple on private land which I couldn't shoot. I decided during one of our many lockdowns I'd get into hunting as another excuse to get out of the house more when the whether is no good for fishing, it's been fun getting out into the bush although it hasn't always been smooth sailing.

With the water warming up and the flies making their presence felt in the bush I've been hitting the water more. First trip in a while was to Clifton Springs. Fairly uneventful although I did see a monstrosity parked on the beach on the way back in.

I'm still trying to have a good session on the salmon landbased to give my now not so new spinning combo a good workout. So far it's only been one or two fish at most unfortunately. There's been some good ones around but I do miss Gunnamatta, the beaches over my side don't have the same shape and structure and I think they hold less fish as a result. I've been meaning to hit up Johanna at some stage but never get around to it.

Last week I broke out the night lights and hit up Swan Bay for a gumbo, and I thought maybe the inlet would be warmer than the rest of the bay and be home to a few snaps. I found the bait school in the entrance and grabbed a few nice salmon. It was a while until sunset so I had a bit of fun with the surface lures too. Heaps of banjoes around and I thought I;d run out of hooks before the tide change but I found another pack in one of my other tackle boxes and pushed on. There were a few taylor about as usual too.

Today I was up early and heading to St Leonards for some whiting. I should've checked the weather as the first couple of hours had the wind against the tide and was very hard to fish. I did end up with 7-8 fish though. On the tide change I relocated to some deeper water at the wreck of the Clarence and picked up a couple more to finish up with 10. After that I drifted around while cleaning the fish and score a handful of squid.

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Re: a few trip reports

Post by fisho999 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:51 pm

nice report mate, I haven't been able to do much fishing either, mostly due to the high water and being winter. i do a fair amount of hunting my self as I live on a farm, so if you need any tips or anything PM me.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:30 pm

Looking forward to seeing the deer report when it happens. Shame about the bloody price of fuel though!

Nice catch today. Outdid me.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:34 pm

Good to see your back on the water, slow start but a good ending on the last trip with a mixed bag.. seafood basket for tea.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”