Heading down the GOR

BurnardTheGurnard
Has liked: 1 time

Heading down the GOR

Post by BurnardTheGurnard » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:23 am

Joining the missus and her family for a week down in Wye River at the start of July and will have plenty of chances to throw a line. So far I’ve only really fished within PPB, so I’m excited to see what’s down in the straight, and possibly the surrounding rivers and streams.

We’ll be based in Wye River, so if anyone knows any good spots around there I’d love to hear it. Main issue I see is I only have light gear, a couple 2-4kg combos. With this set up I don’t see myself getting a lot off the beach (maybe some flatties?), or off the rocks. If all else fails I’ll try the harbour at Apollo Bay and the pier at Lorne, but I’m hopeful someone here might have some other spots worth checking out with the gear I’ve got. While I’ve mostly done saltwater before I’m eager to try out some rivers and streams that might be better suited to my gear than the beach.

Will post reports when I’m done. Thanks all!

russellh2

Re: Heading down the GOR

Post by russellh2 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:11 am

Check out the Rock Ledges at the mouth of the Cumberland River - Looking out onto Bass Strait from small carpark on the left hand side of the River Mouth the rock platform is virtually straight in front of you. Also look at Artillery Rock - Google either / both Be Safe and spend 30 minutes watching waves before attempting to access Rock Ledges. Count the waves in "Sets" which is the number of waves between normal size waves and one or two that are bigger, these are the ones you need to be wary off - If in doubt, do nor go out.

BurnardTheGurnard

Post by BurnardTheGurnard » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:31 am

russellh2 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:11 am
Check out the Rock Ledges at the mouth of the Cumberland River - Looking out onto Bass Strait from small carpark on the left hand side of the River Mouth the rock platform is virtually straight in front of you. Also look at Artillery Rock - Google either / both Be Safe and spend 30 minutes watching waves before attempting to access Rock Ledges. Count the waves in "Sets" which is the number of waves between normal size waves and one or two that are bigger, these are the ones you need to be wary off - If in doubt, do nor go out.
Will these be fine with the light gear I’ve got?

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 am

Wye river itself has a few trout upstream, as does Cumberland river. Doesn't look like you have the right gear for rock fishing, however, there are quite a few spots where some of the rock ledges start and meet the beach, fish around those safer areas and you should still be able to pick up some salmon and whiting

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:35 pm

+1 for not having the right gear for beach / rock fishing.
Also as you are only just starting out it wouldn't be wise to rock fish as it can be dangerous for people inexperienced.

There are also new life jackets laws for certain rock fishing sites so be sure to check them out before you go. The streams around Lorne are your best option.

russellh2

Post by russellh2 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:53 pm

Would upgrade to 8 or 10Lb Line - Bait = Pippies / White Bait / Pilchards - Cast Metal / Chrome Metal slugs

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Rocks = PFD
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

BurnardTheGurnard

Post by BurnardTheGurnard » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 pm

Thanks everyone! I’m thinking about checking out EOFY sales at anaconda and picking up a Surf outfit, but with what you’ve all said I’ll probably still give rock fishing a miss until I get a chance to go with someone more experienced and get myself a PFD. If I don’t end up picking up a surf outfit I’ll probably stick to streams and Lorne pier/Apollo Bay Harbour.

Will post reports once I’ve been!

BurnardTheGurnard

Post by BurnardTheGurnard » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:47 pm

russellh2 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:53 pm
Would upgrade to 8 or 10Lb Line - Bait = Pippies / White Bait / Pilchards - Cast Metal / Chrome Metal slugs
The two rods I’ve already got are spooled with 8 & 10lb braid respectively, I’d think this’d be good for whiting, and I’ve landed a few pinkies and flatties with them, but I’d expect salmon to bust off that pretty easy unless they’re very undersized, and same for trevally. Should be ok for trout though?

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:55 pm

BurnardTheGurnard wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 pm
Thanks everyone! I’m thinking about checking out EOFY sales at anaconda and picking up a Surf outfit, but with what you’ve all said I’ll probably still give rock fishing a miss until I get a chance to go with someone more experienced and get myself a PFD. If I don’t end up picking up a surf outfit I’ll probably stick to streams and Lorne pier/Apollo Bay Harbour.

Will post reports once I’ve been!
heheh

sales
anaconda

heheh

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”