Clifton Springs 19th Nov

Matty H

Clifton Springs 19th Nov

Post by Matty H » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Friday off = quiet boat ramp, luxury of being the only one launching at 7.15. Still extremely shallow harbour entrance, the 4.75 stacer bottomed out and dug mud getting out. Rough sou’wester saw me reign in my ambition, settling for the mid way marker on the outer side of the mussel farms. Slow anchor drag was frustrating over the first 90 minutes, but the wind did settle eventually. Vast amounts of fish going through, first drop saw a 33cm kgw, but after that everything else moved in…., non-stop pinkies, but only one at size, as many flatties as you could wish for. Caught mid size salmon, used for cut bait (more pinkies….), heaps of small mackerel used as live baits, eventually producing banjos and a one enormous ray and a sand whiting again used live. Didn’t stop catching all day, and very nice feed for me and the missus. The whiting was the best, all fish cooked as clean boneless fillets lightly crumbed. Had hoped for a gummy but not to be, although the first run from the ray was blistering and I had my hopes up. It had 3 enormous barbs on its tail, have never seen that size before (have caught bigger rays), or that number, each one a good 20cm long. Ploughed the mud again getting back into the harbour, with the motor needing an extended flush to clear debris.
Cheers, and get out there, plenty of fish!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Clifton Springs 19th Nov

Post by Lightningx » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:23 am

Sounds like a top day mate with plenty of fish!
A big variety of fish as well.
I’m hoping to get out there again on Wednesday for a few more reds!
Cheers 👍🏻

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:08 am

Do they ever dredge Clifton Springs? The harbour is always so shallow, it's beyond me how anyone in a bigger boat even gets out on a low tide.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:11 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:08 am
Do they ever dredge Clifton Springs? The harbour is always so shallow, it's beyond me how anyone in a bigger boat even gets out on a low tide.
They've dredged about three times in the last month, however anytime we get an E or N wind the sediment and weed build up again. It's been a constant battle with this boat ramp where council is hesitant to continue dredging it. It's pretty much unusable on anything under high tide.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”