Clifton Springs EGI Session Madness

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Clifton Springs EGI Session Madness

Post by Andrews » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Hey everyone,

Hope we are all keeping well and enjoying this warmer weather (as much as we can).
I wanted to share with you all a ripper EGI session I had yesterday at Clifton Spring Jetty and my experience fishing this spot.

1/9/2021 - First day of spring, light N/NE winds with a clean 1.2M run in-tide, the clouds were light and the sun was bright. Water temp 12C.

I started this session by hitting the pier after work, I arrived around 5PM and went with this killer natural pilchard colour Yamashita in size 2.5. (Sutte-R NMI #2.5). This was my first flick using my new go-pro and I completely forgot to turn it on during the whole session. Always next time.

Had two of the cocky 'locals' there who did the whole in their spot, no squid here talk, said I was wasting my time, yawn, yeah whatever - guess they don't mind me catching them.

The water was super clean with light floating weed.
IMG_1453.JPG
Casting straight out, letting the current push the jig and double hopping is the best action for the spot since it's so shallow and I reckon it hands down helps prevent floating weed snags. The action started around 5:30PM, as the started setting a deep orange glow hit the water.
IMG_1454.JPEG
I was watching my jig about 5M out from the jetty and all of the sudden I saw this squid behind the jig, within a second and we're hooked up. Calling out to a mate who called bull until I landed the squid on the pier. Next cast on the drop meters out from the jetty and the line pulls tight to the left, another good squid inking and hitting the deck. Again, ink on the deck and we're back out, at this point my mates hooked into one before my drag starts pulling string. Unfortunately, it was barely hooked rather than a bigger squid. Within two minutes I'd landed four good sized squids and the mate got one.

To those two men who called me out for going for squid - LMAO I've never two blokes run to their rods quicker to change to a squid jig. Suck it.
IMG_1467_Facetune_01-09-2021-18-45-06.JPEG
IMG_1476.JPEG
Squid went quiet and they started talking again, saying that I'm lucky to have got squid and that it never happens. Yeah whatever - Five casts later sending it a little further out and the drag starts pulling string, good thumps and good pulls. The second the squid hit the pier they were eyeing it off, even tried asking if they could have it for bait - yeah right. Here is a couple of beauty shots of this 27CM hood.
17CED380-445E-4C6F-8E69-FBA0361BD1AC.JPEG
IMG_1471.JPEG
IMG_1500.JPEG
Ended the session by 6:10PM, fished an hour with five squid + 1 mates, and kept two, gave another 3 to a young fella down the jetty. Good session before the weather turns.

Cheers,
Andrew
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: Clifton Springs EGI Session Madness

Post by Kenle » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Awsome report mate, I'm so jelly right now. Love watching you catch squids but I'd love it more if I could go catch them myself lol. Yeah we seem to encounter a few pier hoggers who thinks you need their approval to fish near them, but it's so bloody good that you outfished these oxygen thieves. Amazing pics as always, keep our dreams going with more post mate, your a legend

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Kenle wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:51 pm
Awsome report mate, I'm so jelly right now. Love watching you catch squids but I'd love it more if I could go catch them myself lol. Yeah we seem to encounter a few pier hoggers who thinks you need their approval to fish near them, but it's so bloody good that you outfished these oxygen thieves. Amazing pics as always, keep our dreams going with more post mate, your a legend
Cheers Kenle,

Yeah, I couldn't agree more, I honestly hope that it isn't long too till everyone can head chasing them and our other spring-summer species.

It is always bloody great getting some good karma when dealing with people like that. Last year I'd just deal with it, this year after COVID I'm done playing those games. You bet I took my sweet time taking photos of the squid. haha
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:24 pm

That’s a great session mate.
You did well. Forget about those guys. I’ve had that kind of **** happen many times as well 🤣
Can I have it for bait 🤣🤣🤣
Cheers 👍🏻

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Well done Andrew, no squid in the Werribee river, unfortunately
Gra

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:53 am

Cheers Lightningx, haha yeah definitely enjoyed myself out fishing them.

Thanks Texas, yeah hopefully it won't be long till you can get onto some!

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”