5 to 5: Jan Juc, St Leonards, Barwon Heads, Clifton Springs

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

5 to 5: Jan Juc, St Leonards, Barwon Heads, Clifton Springs

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:37 pm

Woke up 5am, got back home 5pm, today 19 June. Short reports:

Jan Juc beach 7am, barely any wind but water was dirty, so much weed, guessing from the past fee days of south wind and rain. 9ft graphite rod, 4000 reel, 15lb line, 40gm halco twisty. Caught weed every single cast, didn't stay long. Donut.

Drove 1 hr to St Leonards pier, water was a bit murky, saw 2 guys fishing for squid and gars, said donut, one Spanish guy said caught three on black jig early morning then nothing. My mate caught one on orange then I caught one on 3.0 red harimitsu, both on the right side just before the end, then nothing.

Drove 30 mins to Barwon Heads, hoping to fish on a yak, but the wind peaked up at around 25kmh south, plus low tide. Would be too hard and noth worth it.

Drove 20 mins to Clifton Springs to seek sheltered area, wind was still blowing around 25kmh south. About 2.5-3 hrs of fishing on a yak straight out of the beach, my mate caught two on white 3.0 jig and I caught two on orange 3.0 jig.

I bet if Andrew was there, he'd bag out :-D .
I'm not a squid guru, happy enough to take some home. Mrs is happy and will give a couple to a mate.
IMG-20210619-WA0000_resize_75.jpg
IMG20210619143753_resize_40.jpg
IMG20210619095552_resize_77.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: 5 to 5: Jan Juc, St Leonards, Barwon Heads, Clifton Springs

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Really glad to see hear that you were able to get some calamari and an enjoyable day on the water!

It's funny but I know the exact Spanish guy you're talking about... He pulls long sessions, like morning to dusk kind of hours!
Good hearing you both got onto some squid there!

Clifton Springs is an underrated gem, there is such a diversity of structure and the whole Curlewis Bank is incredibly shallow. You'd be blown away by the amount of huge squid, flatties and kgw hang around those spots. I've spearfished pretty much the whole bank from leopold to Port, all along the bank and can share some secrets, actually I'll make that into a post tomorrow. You'll be blown away by the structure - and how I catch octopus by hand! haha

haha1 Maybe! I'll give St Leonards a fish tomorrow!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: 5 to 5: Jan Juc, St Leonards, Barwon Heads, Clifton Springs

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:02 pm

I am yet to explore further of the area. From what you said, I should!
I often go for squid on kayak there and kgw. No kgw today though, the squid tentacle bait didn't get touched. Not even by a puffer or leather jacket.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”