St lennys pier squid, makerel, trevaly, pike, whiting and Flathead.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

St lennys pier squid, makerel, trevaly, pike, whiting and Flathead.

Post by Kenle » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:36 pm

Just throwing in a report, I was too lazy to put up for last weekend. Went out with my uncle and bagged out on squid, decent hood size great fun on light tackle. Cut a few small ones up for bait and caught a nice Flathead and whiting before the makerel showed up and we just ended up smashing them instead. Landed a few nice trevalys in the chaos and got nailed by a pike on soft plastic. Great fun, got a good feed and left them biting as always.
Attachments
20210227_090847_copy_1149x1532.jpg
20210227_090342_copy_1149x1532.jpg
20210227_090202_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: St lennys pier squid, makerel, trevaly, pike, whiting and Flathead.

Post by Sebb » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 am

Holly mackerel! Lucky you. Don't think I ever got a session like that. Not that I can remember.
Good on you :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 am

Nice haul! The yakkas have been going off lately. Did you get them on bait or plastics?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Bloody hell!!! That’s an absolute killing! Who needs a boat when you can catch like that from the pier!
Just awesome.
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:43 pm

What a session! You're smashing them every time you come down this way! haha.
I know why I struggled this week (joking) haha! Hopefully they come out in numbers this weekend, keen!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm

Cheers guys, yeah the makerels on and off but I've noticed alot of fisho using green LED lights to attract them. This method attracts alot of small bait fish towards your area thus bringing in the makerels but I discourage this method. Reason been is that I bag out when no green lights around but struggle to bag out with it everywhere. My theory is that because the light congregate the bait fish in one confined spot that the makerel fills up on it quicker and goes off the bite alot quicker. But that's just my opinion, I catch all my makerel on plastics but my uncle loves using strip's of squid to catch them both very effective. Goodluck everyone

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:36 pm

Kenle wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm
Cheers guys, yeah the makerels on and off but I've noticed alot of fisho using green LED lights to attract them. This method attracts alot of small bait fish towards your area thus bringing in the makerels but I discourage this method. Reason been is that I bag out when no green lights around but struggle to bag out with it everywhere. My theory is that because the light congregate the bait fish in one confined spot that the makerel fills up on it quicker and goes off the bite alot quicker. But that's just my opinion, I catch all my makerel on plastics but my uncle loves using strip's of squid to catch them both very effective. Goodluck everyone
I reckon they don't like feeding in the bright lights. I also try to avoid those people with the green lights, same experience as you, I've bagged out many times but never next to those green lights. Calamari are a different story though... those lights work.

If you don't mind sharing, whats the plastics you have been using? I've only caught them on unweighted bait before, plastics sounds a lot more fun.

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:47 pm

eddyt wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:36 pm
Kenle wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm
I reckon they don't like feeding in the bright lights. I also try to avoid those people with the green lights, same experience as you, I've bagged out many times but never next to those green lights. Calamari are a different story though... those lights work.

If you don't mind sharing, whats the plastics you have been using? I've only caught them on unweighted bait before, plastics sounds a lot more fun.
I got them on zman slim swims 2.5" in pink or white on a 1/8 size 1/0 jighead I think those nitro bream ones. Fast retrieve to get thier attention then slow down when you see them give chase, 9 out of 10 times they'll smash your plastic. I run 4lb braid and 6lb fluoro carbon lead, fantastic fun. I sometimes throw on a small white coloured blade vibe metal lures and nail them on that.

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”