Any Garcia Max Black Batcaster reel with Shimano Quickfire 4-6kg

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Peanut
Has liked: 2 times

Any Garcia Max Black Batcaster reel with Shimano Quickfire 4-6kg

Post by Peanut » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:17 pm

Hey guys,
Looking at putting an Abu black max 3 reel with a Shimano Quickfire 4-6kg for cod fishing, any feedback on this combo? Will run 30lb braid on it.
Cheers in advance
🥜

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: Any Garcia Max Black Batcaster reel with Shimano Quickfire 4-6kg

Post by Andrews » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:01 pm

I have used the Shimano quickfire spin soft-plastic rod and it's an alright good rod for the price, the soft-plastics version of the rod is is pretty stiff, little heavy but my biggest complaint is the eyelets, within a few months washing down the rod after each trip the epoxy started turning green as they corroded and within a year they were at the point where it became sharp and damaged the line.

I think the bait caster rod comes only as a one piece, so be aware of that if you're looking for a 2 piece.

I think the braid to rod combo is a little bit off, I can't say I've ever targeted Cod before but 4-6kg with 30lb seems a little skewed. Others might have more input and actually caught a cod before, which is more than I can say!

Hope you can get all the info you need!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Peanut
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Peanut » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:56 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:01 pm
I have used the Shimano quickfire spin soft-plastic rod and it's an alright good rod for the price, the soft-plastics version of the rod is is pretty stiff, little heavy but my biggest complaint is the eyelets, within a few months washing down the rod after each trip the epoxy started turning green as they corroded and within a year they were at the point where it became sharp and damaged the line.

I think the bait caster rod comes only as a one piece, so be aware of that if you're looking for a 2 piece.

I think the braid to rod combo is a little bit off, I can't say I've ever targeted Cod before but 4-6kg with 30lb seems a little skewed. Others might have more input and actually caught a cod before, which is more than I can say!

Thanks Andrew, noted about the guides, will check out other reviews. Appreciate it mate

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm

if your looking for a budget option it will be ok. i'd probably look for a 6-10kg rod though, the 4-6 will be fine with smaller cod but if you hook a bigger one you might be under gunned.
abu do a blackmax baitcast combo (i think 5-8kg) that comes up on special at a good price every now and then at bcf and anaconda.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Yeah I'd go for heavier rod too. Not just for the fish, but sometimes you have to pull a stick etc. Heavy rod and line etc is to make sure not to break the rod line losing lures and so on. You get the idea.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:39 pm

Andrews wrote:

I had the same problem with the eyelets, the smooth stuff in the eyelets cracked and I couldn't cast with braid because it would just chop me off. so I just took all the stuff out and it worked fine for me.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:49 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:39 pm
Andrews wrote:

I had the same problem with the eyelets, the smooth stuff in the eyelets cracked and I couldn't cast with braid because it would just chop me off. so I just took all the stuff out and it worked fine for me.
You're 1.5 years too late to reply that, but yeah cool :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:18 pm

this happens every time i find a post I can contribute to dangit

Return to “Australian Natives”