Eildon Fishing Tips - Pls Help!!

TheShark

Eildon Fishing Tips - Pls Help!!

Post by TheShark » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi All,

Heading up to Eildon this weekend and I'm a beginner when it comes to fishing.

Anyone have any tips for me? Spots, bait/lures, type of rig, hardware etc...

Would appreciate all the help I could get.

Cheers.

fish99

Re: Eildon Fishing Tips - Pls Help!!

Post by fish99 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 pm

hi mate,years ago i used to launch at jeruselum creek troll tassie devils around the edge of the banks about 20 or so feet out.early morning best, then in the arvos head to the dead trees and bob scrubbies and little yabbies amongst them.or go to your local tackle shop and purchase lake eildon fishing map for around $7.it has alot of info on it good luck.

shulgin

Post by shulgin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Best rig for bait is a running sinker. Baits vary from time to time but I've had luck with worms, maggots and most of all synthetic baits (powerbait rainbow is the best imo). If you're a beginner I'd recommend you hit Eildon Pondage, near the oval (just on the right as you come into Eildon over the bridge from the Goulburn Valley highway) is a good spot, have in the past caught many rainbow trout there and have heard good things about areas near the graveyard but have never caught anything there myself. Also the Goulburn river in Thornton (about 15 minutes from Eildon itself) is a very fine spot to fish for trout. Again running sinker for bait and that area has for me produced brown trout on a minnow style lure.

As for the lake itself near Jeruselam boat ramp towards that dam wall is the only place I've caught trout, but I've only ever fished the area a few (2 or 3) times so I don't know a heap about it.

All the best

Aaron

TheShark

Post by TheShark » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks guys, this is all good stuff.

Anyone else??

rookie

Post by rookie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Mudeyes under a float works well, powerbait in a ball wrapped around a small (size 10 baitholder) hook is good too and scrubworms on a size 6-8 baitholder hook is a favorite standby..
I love my Pflueger 1-3kg 6'6'' with ultra-fine (.18mm) 6lb mono, will try braid one of these days but I worry about getting busted off against snags, it doesn't abrade well or so I gather? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!
Just before the bridge into Eildon, on the right, there's a dirt road with plenty of spots to park and walk down to the water (upper Pondage). Opposite the caravan park has been good for me in the past.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”