Melton reservoir kayak fishing on Halloween day

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Melton reservoir kayak fishing on Halloween day

Post by Sebb » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:55 pm

I reckon the Halloween spooked most of the fish. Here's a quick report.

Happyfriggincamper, a mate and I went to Melton reservoir to fish on kayak. Got there around 10am. Water was dirty. A bright shiny gold diving hardbody lure disappeared in the water only after 20-30cm dive.

Met Seniorfisho on his way back and we headed up north trolling. Fish in the sounder here and there but not biting. All sorts of diving hardbodies, various depths, colours, types, even tried spinnerbaits and vibes.

Happyfriggincamper hooked and landed one yellowbelly on an orange hardbody, I landed one small redfin around 15cm casting gold metal vibe onto a tree lined bank. Around 11am-12pm.

Then bang! Happyfriggincamper hooked a solid fish, turned his kayak, few mins and into the net. A 40cm fat as bass. Was around 12:30pm.

The rest of the day was like sunbathing on the beach, the only thing striking was the sunlight.
And the only living being biting was me eating baker's delight's chocolate croissant.
IMG_20211031_214653_compress27.jpg
IMG_20211031_214630_compress21.jpg
IMG_20211031_215727_compress48.jpg
IMG20211031120024_compress55.jpg
Pretty cool to see the diff between traditional and down scan. This is the railway bridge.
IMG20211031151635_compress77.jpg
PS: I don't know if this is the truest statement or denial : "at least it was a nice day to be out there, cracking day"
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

KChubbs
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Melton reservoir kayak fishing on Halloween day

Post by KChubbs » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:31 am

Cheers for sharing Sebb, I enjoyed the pics! Although you didn't get many fish, you definitely got your Vitamin D ;-)

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:34 am

Great post Sebb, though the fish may not have been on the bite, it looks like a beautiful day on the water none the less!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:51 am

That place can be very frustrating with a sounder. You can cast a lure through the schools and not get a touch, other times they take anything. I'm finding more fish in the grass beds atm. Once the water clears a bit and continues to warm up the fish will take more and more lures, hopefully next time we get to fish together

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 am

Andrews wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:34 am
Great post Sebb, though the fish may not have been on the bite, it looks like a beautiful day on the water none the less!
Thanks mate. Was a very pleasant day to fish. After a long winter lockdown, out in the sun was really nice.
Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:51 am
That place can be very frustrating with a sounder. You can cast a lure through the schools and not get a touch, other times they take anything. I'm finding more fish in the grass beds atm. Once the water clears a bit and continues to warm up the fish will take more and more lures, hopefully next time we get to fish together
This is true.
Finding the fish is one thing, catching is another totally different thing. :-D

Yeah, I'll come a bit earlier next time I go there. Around sunrise.

zimukebn

Post by zimukebn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:34 pm

Kayaking and fishing at Melton Reservoir on Halloween day could be a fun and unique way to spend the holiday. If you plan to go, be sure to check the weather forecast and any regulations or restrictions that may be in place for the reservoir. You should also make sure to follow safety guidelines for kayaking and fishing kayak, such as wearing a life jacket and being mindful of your surroundings. Don't forget to bring all necessary gear, such as a fishing rod and bait, and any snacks or drinks you may need for the day. Have a safe and enjoyable time!
Last edited by zimukebn on Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:36 pm

I'm not 100% sure about that post zimukbn

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”