Rocklands trip 2014

fitzy90

Rocklands trip 2014

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:44 am

Just got back from my annual pilgrimage to Glendinning for the family camping trip, it seems to get bigger and bigger each year, about 35 of us camping there this year ( its a bit of a free range children farm with all the kids running around!). A few of the guys had a bit of luck however had not really got onto any fish yet.
We started off on on the Tuesday afternoon as soon as i got there with a bit of trawling with stump jumpers and only got one small one. Tuesday night we ran the minnow nets and collected a heap of minnow and little reddies for the next day.
On the Wednesday we were out bright and early and sounded up a school and anchored. The below pic is the result, Plastics and little reddies gave the best results. This kept us in fresh fish for the next few days, and was all eaten by Friday. The Fish went a bit quiet for the next few days which may have had a lot to do with the change of weather (very lucky to miss the storms).
Went out for a fish on the Sunday morning before i left, and they were back on again, looks like i will be heading back over the Easter long weekend if the fishing keeps up like this!
On a side note, i have never seen the system so healthy, we would have thrown back at least over 100 smaller fish, and the amount of bait in the system is amazing, great turn around from 8 years ago when it was almost dry!
Attachments
Sunday.jpg
Wednesday.jpg
Wednesday morning.jpg
Last edited by fitzy90 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Growlermz

Re: Rocklands trip 2014

Post by Growlermz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:34 pm

wow, if my missus and her step mum saw this photo they would be banging on your door.
Nice report and great catch

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 pm

man thats a decent haul, good work..
cheers

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm

fitzy90 wrote:..............................................................................................................................................Tuesday night we ran the minnow nets and collected a heap of minnow and little reddies for the next day..................
Did you have any luck with the small reddies as bait? Great report and effort also!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:36 pm

The little reddies were the bait of choice. Best size were in the 80 - 100 mm range, that way if you had a bite you knew it was a decent fish

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Love your work mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: great feed there :dinner:

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Cheers, Redfin are one of my favorite fish to eat, had them for lunch and tea every night. I think ill be heading up again over the Easter weekend as i had to come back to work for a few days, rang the guys up there still and they got a few larger models today.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:28 pm

fitzy90 wrote:Cheers, Redfin are one of my favorite fish to eat, had them for lunch and tea every night. I think ill be heading up again over the Easter weekend as i had to come back to work for a few days, rang the guys up there still and they got a few larger models today.
You can't go wrong with getting a feed of redfin. Great tasting, plentiful and classified as a nuisance fish! Using them for bait, did you hook them in the back or in through the mouth? Also, what did you have in the traps that attracted the redfin?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Timi200

Post by Timi200 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Awsome work fitzy

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:44 pm

I have a small drag net (4 meters) with poles on the ends that you can use to get the reddies and the minnow, the hardest part is finding someone else to get wet using it. I have tried bait traps with little success up there.
I use a single patanosta rig and hook them through the lip they tend to swim better and stay off the bottom when they are borderline dead, also 99% of the bait is swallowed head first so its a much better hook up rate.

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”