Old School Bream Fishing

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Old School Bream Fishing

Post by Whiskers » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:56 pm

I haven't posted much in the last twelve months or so, not that I haven't fished much but more so that I've been lazy about posting.

It's been a strange year in the Snowy system. We've had flood after flood culminating in a major flood early in November. Lots of dirty water and cold water temperatures exacerbated by the mammoth amounts of water that was being spilled from the Dam at Jindabyne.

It's only being back to normal over the last month or so and the fishing is getting back to its normal high standards.

Today I went old school. An old Jarvis walker Black Queen rod, a simple light weight running sinker rig, 6lb line and peeled prawns for bait.

The bream were in the mood to play today. A steady stream of good fish today from a fairly shallow stretch of water with plenty of snags.

Nothing under 30cm and the best fish measuring 43.5cm on the mat. (see photo). The second photo is the big girl with another nice fish of 38cm.

It was interesting to note that the fish wouldn't feed if the water was calm, but as soon as there was a wind ripple they were back on the chew, so if you needed to pee you waited until the breeze stopped!
:wt:
Attachments
pair2.jpg
pair1.jpg

Paulanderson
Has liked: 62 times

Re: Old School Bream Fishing

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:05 am

Some solid bream there. Nothing wrong with old school fishing - it worked well then and still works now!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:22 am

Some very nice bream there!
Well done 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:09 am

Whiskers wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:56 pm
I haven't posted much in the last twelve months or so, not that I haven't fished much but more so that I've been lazy about posting.

It's been a strange year in the Snowy system. We've had flood after flood culminating in a major flood early in November. Lots of dirty water and cold water temperatures exacerbated by the mammoth amounts of water that was being spilled from the Dam at Jindabyne.

It's only being back to normal over the last month or so and the fishing is getting back to its normal high standards.

Today I went old school. An old Jarvis walker Black Queen rod, a simple light weight running sinker rig, 6lb line and peeled prawns for bait.

The bream were in the mood to play today. A steady stream of good fish today from a fairly shallow stretch of water with plenty of snags.

Nothing under 30cm and the best fish measuring 43.5cm on the mat. (see photo). The second photo is the big girl with another nice fish of 38cm.

It was interesting to note that the fish wouldn't feed if the water was calm, but as soon as there was a wind ripple they were back on the chew, so if you needed to pee you waited until the breeze stopped!
:wt:
I remember a bream pro fisher said something like "no movement no fish".
That wind ripple, current, etc. Can make a big difference.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

tom_snowball
Has liked: 1 time

Post by tom_snowball » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:30 pm

Black queen brings back memories. I have 3 of them. One is at least 45 years old. Great rod for bait fishing in East Gippsland rivers.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:47 pm

Well done mate, some solid fish there.
I was wondering where you disappeared to. Good to see you back and posting a few pics.
Cheers

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”