Corner inlet report

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Corner inlet report

Post by ducky » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:08 pm

Hey all.

Has been a little while since I had a proper fish. So when the long weekend aligned with some decent weather I booked a couple nights in yarram (closest caravan park with space to port welshpool.

The aim was to get my young fella, Kye, his first gumbo

Headed off 6am Thursday morning. Had a disastrous run. Missed turnoff at pakky. Realised past thorpdale id forgotten my freshly loaded tackle box was still at home. Missus was lovely enough to meet me half way. Then heading the back way following google maps I hit a road closure due to land slide somewhere behind poowong and had to backtrack 40 odd mins

So after a nice relaxing 4.5ish hour drive from Dandenong to port welshpool we were ready for a fish

Launched and headed down near the front and anchored up first bait out was a gomoku black overhead setup as previously he had struggled handling the 10-15kg spin tackle. I still don't know what happened but the first guide snapped off. (Off to a blinder this trip)

Luckily nothing bad happened for the rest of the weekend.

So the spread was set and over the remainder of the run out we hauled in 9 swell sharks and a couple banjos. On slack water we had a decent long run ending in a bite off. Judging by weight I'd have guessed a low double digits schoolie but who knows.

After the tide turned I decided to have a crack on the low for squid. I'd been told to focus on the incoming and high tides down that way but I needed to know if it was really that bad. 2 in 2 mins suggested it was all going to be good. Then nothing for the next hour or so and we pulled another one. Knowing we had to check in we called it there.

Next day I tried the other side of Lewis channel and we quickly pulled a few squid. Just your average size hoods. I desperately wanted to get away from the swell sharks so I moved up into the basin system. Poking myself inside doughboys channel. It was real quiet here for half a tide until we finally had a gummy buckle on Kyes outfit. A quick set of the hooks and the rod was handed over. He fought it up to the boat twice before it headed towards the anchor rope and needed some spool palming to re direct it. After a few mins dogging out under the boat it was netted and dispatched. The young fella was pumped to tick off another species. Didn't weigh or measure it but I'm assuming it was around the 8kg mark.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. We tried for more gummies but scored a couple swell sharks and the westerly started to fire up so we moved closer to the ramp and tried for some other species. But it was very quiet on that front.

Ultimately it was great to get him his first gumbo but the fishing was far slower than what I'd seen in the warmer months. I'm looking forward to getting down there again in summer.
Attachments
06AE3FFE-0CE5-4A7F-A4A4-16BE9D38540D.jpeg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”