Gippsland Lakes mussels

ango

Gippsland Lakes mussels

Post by ango » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm

Hi All.
Once there were stacks of mussels on the jetties & docks all around Paynesville and if you were chasing whiting it was a simple matter of reaching down and grabbing a couple of hands full for bait. I noticed that sometime last winter they all disappeared from around Paynesville. No big deal I thought, maybe the fresh water coming down the rivers was doing them in and they will be back eventually, and anyway, there were still plenty on the floating dock at the North Arm boat ramp at Lakes. Yesterday I was at the North Arm boat ramp at Lakes and when I went to get some mussels they were mostly dead. Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this part of some natural cycle, I don't think it is a fresh water issue because Lakes gets flushed with salt water every tide. Love to know what is going on here.
Cheers
Ango

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Gippsland Lakes mussels

Post by fishnut » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:36 pm

Ask re tyred

AndyM
Has liked: 30 times

Post by AndyM » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:13 am

Walked past the scallop wharf today in Lakes, and heaps of mussels there. Also regularly walk between Kalimna jetty and North Arm beach and the rocks there were loaded before Easter. Walking the dogs there tomorrow arvo so will check it out then. Would be no surprise to find it empty as the visiting mussel collectors leave nothing

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 am

I thought we wearnt meant to take mussels within tidal range, maybe this doesn't apply to lakes? Good bait though

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:35 pm

Mussels had a die back a cpl of years ago, but are growing rapidly now. Plenty around where they are more difficult to get. Don't eat them at the moment. Blue Green algae around. It will clear over winter. Just a product of nutrient run off and warm weather.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

AndyM
Has liked: 30 times

Post by AndyM » Mon May 02, 2022 9:45 am

AndyM wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:13 am
Walked past the scallop wharf today in Lakes, and heaps of mussels there. Also regularly walk between Kalimna jetty and North Arm beach and the rocks there were loaded before Easter. Walking the dogs there tomorrow arvo so will check it out then. Would be no surprise to find it empty as the visiting mussel collectors leave nothing
Still heaps of mussels along the Kalimna walking track, and all the town jetties seem loaded

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”