Flathead offshore

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Flathead offshore

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:58 pm

I had to drop my wife at the bus at 0520am to catch the train to Melbourne. So at 6am what is there to do on a very calm morning with almost no swell offshore. After a quick cup of tea and toast I threw all the gear in the boat. i wasn't sure what I was going to do so in went a cpl of heavy offshore outfits, plus a lighter flathead outfit and for good measure a cpl of whiting setups. So in went a mix of bait to match. Some lake tyers prawns, some squid and various fish bits and pieces.
It was still dark but the tide was flooding and only a 1mtr max swell. Off I went and launched and idled out to the bar. Even though I new it was fine to cross, in the dark with a 14ft tinnie my eyes were out on storks :o_0: . No issue motored across and watch the depth drop away from 5 mtrs to 6,7,10mtrs Ok clear, pointed to the SW and went down to the pines and in to the back of the break. Just a hint of light now. Threw in a good gummy rig and a flatty rig and sat to see what happens. Well not much :rf: . By sunup still nothing but had drifted out from 8mtrs to 14mtrs. Hmm should I go back in and chase the KGWs. Then boing boing something is knocking on a rod. Not much of a fight but up came a 35cm bluespot flatty. Ok so over goes a lighter rod with some 2/0s on it. Out to 16mtrs by this time. Boing another one. Then a bunch of undersize. Out to 18mtrs not much happening. charged back to 12mtrs for another drift that produced 2 more around the 35cm. I had the drogue out by this time as a 10knt NW wind had started to move me a bit too fast. Couldn't be bothered pulling it in so continued to drift but more to the east. At 19mtrs the light flatty rod bends and a bit of line feeds out . Plenty of weight no big fight. Up comes a dbl header of 40plus flatties. So kept at it till 1030 and headed in. 13 keepers some quite good ones but no monsters.
Interestingly some lake Tyers prawns were the best bait. followed by squid strips. I caught a coota and a cpl of mackerel that i turned into bait. The fish didn't seem that fussed with them today.
Attachments
IMG_20220325_115139_937.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Flathead offshore

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:51 pm

Very tasty looking feed there!
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:06 pm

Ripper feed nice work

Pirkz
Has liked: 228 times

Post by Pirkz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:52 am

Re-tyred. Nice catch and informative report . Thanks for that. I may venture out across the bar myself one of these days. Never mind the choice of bait I think the key 3 words here were........
Wife ... Train... Melbourne :-D

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”