Prawns.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Prawns.

Post by re-tyred » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:35 pm

Some calm warm evenings at last. Chucked the prawn gear in the boat and went out to Lake Tyers. Still light when we launched. Headed around to the far side opposite the tavern. Only one other group of three there. Had to wait about 20 minutes for it to get completely dark. Just a few prawns till about 9pm, then they came out like flies. By just after 10pm had a fair heap in the Esky. Only walked about 50 mtrs either side of the boat. Just me dipping. Cruised back to the ramp. Home just after 11pm. Sorted them out and bagged them up. Just under 6kg. 3.5 kg eating class and the rest for bait. Tough being a pensioner.
Attachments
IMG_20220312_231528_2.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

denis barden

Re: Prawns.

Post by denis barden » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:45 am

Poor old pensioner
Yes we get it tough
Luv the lakes prawns so sweet
Well done

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:50 am

good job mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:18 am

Very nice! You would be happy with that 👍🏻

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Good to see prawns again I Tyers
Yummy

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:50 am

Hah!! got the reports of people bagging out in 20 minutes. Launched early & fished for 2 bites only. Dark time ended up with 12 prawns from the boat. Obviously (now I think of it) should have got out & walked. :( :( :(
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 am

Decided to go prawning again even though the moon was close to full and it was cloudless. Took a mate who hasn't been prawning for a few years. Launched just on dark and motored slowly through the shallows to the eastern side of Lake Tyers. Final glow in the sky as we got there. The moon wasn't up yet. There were prawns already out, so we got straight into them. They were very thick, often scooping 5-6 at a time. Then the moon came up and they got scarce. Stuck it out, one here, one there. After about half an hour and now a very bright night, they just magically reappeared. By 11pm we had enough. Both had quite a few. I guessed at around 6kg each. Packed up and headed back to the ramp. Home packing them at midnight. Weighed mine just on 8 kg. Not bad for an evening. So we eat 1st class again this week. :sr:
Attachments
IMG_20220321_000316_5.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:06 am

How to freeze your prawns.
Soon as I get them home, I get ziplock sandwich bags. Put a teaspoon of salt in each bag and scoop about 400gm of green prawn into each bag. Zip it up while pushing as much air out as possible. Straight into the freezer. If you were going to keep them a long time vacuum packing would be better.
Ok so time to eat them. Get a large pot fill with water and bring to boil. Add plenty of salt. While waiting for it to boil get a large bowl fill with cold salty water. I put ice in it as our fridge has an ice maker. A pre-frozen small container of ice would do. When the water is boiling, get the frozen bag of prawns from the freezer. Tip them into the boiling water and push them around with a spoon till they seperate. Put the lid on so it comes back to the boil quickly. Note the prawns sink when they first go in. Soon as they all float to the top, Tip them into a colander to drain, and then straight into the iced water till they cool. Works a treat, you can keep them in the freezer for at least a month. Also a lot quicker to deal with when you get home late at night. I used to sit up cooking them.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:53 am

Went again last night. They started off thick, then suddenly went quiet. Ended up with 6 kg for 2 hrs.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:56 pm

Very nice 👍🏻

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”