Gee Wizz
Your Gout will get a hammering
Well Done

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Re: Prawns.

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:05 pm

Mmm Gout. Prawns , tomato, peppers red wine. Yep no wonder I limp about
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:19 pm

The benefits of being retired good weather go no waiting for a day off great work

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 pm

I was at Lakes Entrance at the weekend, went to Lake Tyres for a look on Sat night. I couldn't believe the amount of people there, it would have been a kilometre walk from where the last car was parked to the water. The lake was lit-up like a small city, easy 500 people prawning!

I was fishing on Saturday night, wading the sand flats opposite the old Club Hotel in Lakes, throwing plastics for flattys. I was probably 10 minutes into it when I stood on a Cobbler, it stung me right in the joint under my big toe. I had a brisk 5 min walk to the car and by this time it was really painful, flew back to my mate's place and put my foot in a bucket of hot water. After about 2 hours the pain gradually subsided, the swollen joint went down a day later. Lesson learnt...? Listen to my mate and wear foot protection at night.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:49 pm

greggo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 pm
I was at Lakes Entrance at the weekend, went to Lake Tyres for a look on Sat night. I couldn't believe the amount of people there, it would have been a kilometre walk from where the last car was parked to the water. The lake was lit-up like a small city, easy 500 people prawning!

I was fishing on Saturday night, wading the sand flats opposite the old Club Hotel in Lakes, throwing plastics for flattys. I was probably 10 minutes into it when I stood on a Cobbler, it stung me right in the joint under my big toe. I had a brisk 5 min walk to the car and by this time it was really painful, flew back to my mate's place and put my foot in a bucket of hot water. After about 2 hours the pain gradually subsided, the swollen joint went down a day later. Lesson learnt...? Listen to my mate and wear foot protection at night.
When I was out last month we pulled into Kalimna jetty area of lakes for a suss.

If there wasn't 500 cobbler in the shallows there I'll eat my hat. Was a nasty little patch.

I'd pulled the trigger on another lakes trip for this weekend. Paid for accomodation. Then saw the weather had changed to peeing rain. Promptly cancelled the trip.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:54 pm

ducky wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:49 pm
When I was out last month we pulled into Kalimna jetty area of lakes for a suss.

If there wasn't 500 cobbler in the shallows there I'll eat my hat. Was a nasty little patch.
I was talking to a local guy about it, he was saying the same, they are everywhere at the moment.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Yeah they are shockers. Cobblers are almost worse than bulleye gurnard.
I have been taking the boat prawning. Motor across to the other side and get away from the crowds.
Tonight's dinner, stir-fried prawns and KGW fillets. A glass or 2 of wine. burp!
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:00 am

can someone post a pic of a cobbler? google doesn't yield any answers.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:43 am

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/genus/612 like this, many different ones from black and white to red and black. Mostly 50mm to maybe 150mm long

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:30 am

That is bloody great!! Good stuff mate.

Are you casting a net or using a hand net (pole)?

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”