Lakes crabs

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Lakes crabs

Post by mr smokey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 am

OK folks, asking for a friend as I don't eat em. Any update you are aware of in relation to the algae situation in the lake ? I know mussels are off the Christmas card list but not sure if the same applies to crabs. On another note, I have noticed that most of the gummys we have caught recently have regurgitated crabs, so may look at using them for bait. Thoughts ??
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Lakes crabs

Post by re-tyred » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:09 pm

We have tried them as bait, not had any success. All the gummies are full of them. Not sure about eating them out of the lake. You can catch them offshore at the back of the surf break. 5-10mtrs. Don't have to go far, just over the bar and either side of the entrance.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Re: Lakes crabs

Post by mr smokey » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:31 am

Thnx young fella. I am heading out there this afternoon with the "visitors". Seems that is the consensus. Just out front in about that depth. Personally I can't see any value in the buggers- too fiddly. Now, if they were coconut crabs like in Vanuatu it may be a different story :) Probably stick to pillies for the gummies then :)
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”