Need to fish but the weather says no - Gippsland Lakes

Steve’o

Need to fish but the weather says no - Gippsland Lakes

Post by Steve’o » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:03 pm

Keen for some local guidance in what’s turning out to be a annoying situation.

So keen hobby fishing man, Gippsland lakes is my favourite destination, have been locked up in Melbourne for eternity, and this Sat to Tuesday is the first chanced I get to throw a line in up in gods country.

The weather however is telling me I’m not going to have much fun or success. The boat is not coming with me so land based only.

Is there anywhere that would be remotely possible to fish and be successful in these types of conditions, with the amount of water that will be coming through the river system. I am willing to sit in the rain and tuff it out just to wet line aslong as there is a slim chance.

Is the mouth of the Tambo an option for bait fishing, or just a waste of time when its going to be spewing out water and logs. The Slips maybe?
Should I buy some gold fish and fill up a bath?

I will be staying around Metung way, but will to travel anywhere on the system for just a touch of action.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Need to fish but the weather says no - Gippsland Lakes

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:15 am

I'm not familiar with that area but there is a spot to fish somewhere regardless of the weather

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:21 am

Hey mate, it's been a while since I've been up Metung way so my familiarity with the area is a little hazy but there's a spot called Chinaman's Creek that's fairly sheltered from the wind. It's sort of near the entry to town where a few boats are kept, take a left off the main road into Rosherville Road and you should find a bit of access somewhere, or park somewhere nearby and walk onto Rosherville Road. I'm not sure if the moorings are private property or not, but I had no trouble fishing off the piers there as a kid for bream and eels (we're going back to 2008 here). Otherwise you could try the boardwalk or the little pier adjacent to the Shavings Point boat ramp.

I'm assuming the Tambo is out of the question, otherwise I'd suggest the stretch of river between Metung and Swan Reach along Metung Road or Johnsonville (Punt Road).

Good luck and tight lines mate.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:26 am

What about Mclennan Straights out of Lake Wellington.

Steve’o

Post by Steve’o » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:16 pm

Senior - I hear you, it’s going to happen rain hail or shine.

Thanks Charles and Russell - Will investigate and report back on activity/findings.

Cheers

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”