Mixed bag

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Re: Mixed bag

Post by Pirkz » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:36 am

Fished Nungurner yesterday in the usual spot and pretty much bagged out on KGW - albeit in the 27-31 cm range- no biggies. Also caught a few of the usual suspects and took home several gurnard which proved good eating last night in tempura batter. Another boat was 50 m away and the lone angler was catching bugger all, whilst I was getting a bite a drop ,so I invited him closer. Once anchored up 10 m away on the deeper side of the channel, he soon started catching pretty much the same species and size as I was - though on prawn whilst my menu had squid on it. I was using paternoster and he running trace. Nice to improve someone's day and have a bit of a fishy chat across the gap whilst catching some keepers. Mid arvo and an older style rowing boat, complete with dog appeared nearby. Skippered by an elderly gentleman, and using tired looking gear ( probably purchased when my mum was still at school), and chicken, he proceeded to catch ..... bugger all (50 m away). So he too was called/ invited closer. Some squid was lobbed over to him and he too soon had a feed sorted (KGW - not the squid that is). Even his dog seemed impressed (suppose he got the chicken later). Change of tide around 4pm saw me upsticks and head back to Paynesville after donating my last packet of squid to what I saw as a worthy cause. Left the old boy with a bend in his rod, and a smile on his face. Felt good to help him out.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Geoffski
Has liked: 73 times

Post by Geoffski » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:39 am

Great report - fantastic of you to share the luck of the fishing gods!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Could be all over by the end of the week. Once this lot goes through the lake might get a flush out. Tyers will go for sure. 5-8mtr swell forecast for the beach area , 50knts of SE wind and 300+ mm of rain. I just tarped the boat down and clearing everything of the back verandah.
Attachments
_20210607_134300.png
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Even with the most optimistic of forecasts we're in for a hammering. With the most pessimistic of forecasts we're in for the mother and father of a flood event.

If you were thinking of coming to East Gippy this week forget it. It won't be safe.

:dn:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:29 pm

Lets hope Tyers will open.
Stay safe guys, hopefully the wild weather won't do any serious damage.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm

So, as there will no doubt be bugger all posted to read over the next few days thought Id scribe a short missive for those who don't have a life and spend far too much time reading Forums such as this one ( I'm guilty as charged). Yesterday my fishing buddy came up from Toongabbie and after a Bairnsdale meet up, followed by the obligatory homemade chicken and leek pie and coffee at the Black stump in Johnsonville (highly recommended) we decided to give Metung a miss and launch directly from Nungurner, despite the potential awkwardness of launching anything bigger than a canoe there. As expected, and owing to a complete lack of accurate reversing skills on my part (POMMY heritage - not many people in England own trailers or boats for that matter) the launch was a little challenging, and no doubt quite entertaining to anyone watching. Still, once the 4.3m aged Fishabout was finally off the trailer and afloat, (and the trailer back on the ramp via a manual lift ..ha ha ..) it was only literally a 100 yd hop to X marks the spot on the Navionics app, except that we actually ended up fishing at Y marks the spot, as a fairly stiff Northerly breeze combined with an outgoing tide saw us swing around a bit and move/drift about 50 m from where we originally planned to be. But, despite this the ground was reasonably productive so we stayed put, and managed about 20 or so keeper KGW (28-31), plus a dozen or so undersize (25 cm ish ), along with a few each of the usual suspects, which included several small Trevally/ Flathead/Sand whiting /Blowies and a solitary Leatherjacket all on squid. Late in the piece, I hooked into something rather hefty which declined a personal introduction - and with only a size 6 hook and 6lb line our relationship was always going to be tenuous ( didn't really get past the foreplay stage), and after a couple of lunges the piscatorial divorce came early in the piece. After 3 hrs, and with the wind picking up and cloud formations looking rather ominous and forecast inclement weather we called stumps early. Retrieval was straight forward (for once),we missed the rain, and all fish were later donated to a worthy cause i.e. 3 non boat owning, fisher folk (Toongabbie and Paynesville residents) who were all very pleased with their windfall....... I had chicken for T, though cant report what my mate had.
I plan to be back out there once all the weather blows through as it will be interesting to see what effect the extra fresh water in the lakes has on the fishing around that area.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Pirkz wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm
So, as there will no doubt be bugger all posted to read over the next few days thought Id scribe a short missive for those who don't have a life and spend far too much time reading Forums such as this one ( I'm guilty as charged). Yesterday my fishing buddy came up from Toongabbie and after a Bairnsdale meet up, followed by the obligatory homemade chicken and leek pie and coffee at the Black stump in Johnsonville (highly recommended) we decided to give Metung a miss and launch directly from Nungurner, despite the potential awkwardness of launching anything bigger than a canoe there. As expected, and owing to a complete lack of accurate reversing skills on my part (POMMY heritage - not many people in England own trailers or boats for that matter) the launch was a little challenging, and no doubt quite entertaining to anyone watching. Still, once the 4.3m aged Fishabout was finally off the trailer and afloat, (and the trailer back on the ramp via a manual lift ..ha ha ..) it was only literally a 100 yd hop to X marks the spot on the Navionics app, except that we actually ended up fishing at Y marks the spot, as a fairly stiff Northerly breeze combined with an outgoing tide saw us swing around a bit and move/drift about 50 m from where we originally planned to be. But, despite this the ground was reasonably productive so we stayed put, and managed about 20 or so keeper KGW (28-31), plus a dozen or so undersize (25 cm ish ), along with a few each of the usual suspects, which included several small Trevally/ Flathead/Sand whiting /Blowies and a solitary Leatherjacket all on squid. Late in the piece, I hooked into something rather hefty which declined a personal introduction - and with only a size 6 hook and 6lb line our relationship was always going to be tenuous ( didn't really get past the foreplay stage), and after a couple of lunges the piscatorial divorce came early in the piece. After 3 hrs, and with the wind picking up and cloud formations looking rather ominous and forecast inclement weather we called stumps early. Retrieval was straight forward (for once),we missed the rain, and all fish were later donated to a worthy cause i.e. 3 non boat owning, fisher folk (Toongabbie and Paynesville residents) who were all very pleased with their windfall....... I had chicken for T, though cant report what my mate had.
I plan to be back out there once all the weather blows through as it will be interesting to see what effect the extra fresh water in the lakes has on the fishing around that area.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Lol quality write up

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:47 pm

After all the excitement of Lake Tyers opening today, I thought Id either have to have a lie down or go for a fish. Chose option 2, and spent a convivial 3 hrs with Mrs P at Nungurner, which saw 11 KGW keepers around 28-30 ish cm come aboard, plus a half dozen or so returned as just undersize. And , strangely enough, despite moving around a bit , we didn't catch any other species - the usual suspects were only obvious by their absence. Bite rate was also pretty slow compared to previous visits. Mill pond conditions out and back to Paynesville and the water was coloured almost across to Metung, but appeared fairly normal around Nungurner, though Im sure that will change fairly quickly. Be interested to see what comes out of Lake Tyers and the adjacent beach over the next few days as I may have to change my piscatorial postcode / allegiance as I'm feeling all Nungurner'd out - for now at least.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Before N After !!
Attachments
KGW3.jpg
KGW n Salad.jpg
Last edited by Pirkz on Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:13 pm

I envy you blokes who live in Gippsland and can go fishing at the drop of a hat. I’m definitely retiring out that way somewhere.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:31 am

Nice weather, so dropped the hat (see above), and in an attempt to avoid chicken for T once again, cruised (if you Cruise in an old 1999 Tinny ) across to the Nyerimilang area from Paynesville yesterday to hopefully meet up with a few of the usual suspects incl some KGW. Decided to ignore X & Y marks the spots opposite Nungurner area, especially as there was already someone anchored up at X , and continue on to join the Armada fishing the bank opposite Nyerimilang (12 boats counted). The coloured water was slowly ebbing - sort of - and despite several moves and fishing between 2-4 metres using squid, Nada- except for 2 small spotty salmon. Didn't see too much else being caught either, but most boats stayed put, so they must have had their reasons. After an hour, I continued on down to opposite the Kalimna jetty for 30 mins, but still nowt, so decided to cut my losses (half the day gone already) and return to X marks the spot, with Y as a reserve. A quiet start - and noticed that the rather chocolate coloured water appeared to be running out as my stern faced East and there appeared to be a bit of current around the motor. But fishing light leads I noticed that the line was slowly getting dragged West (so fishing under the boat). Being a rather impulsive fisho, I didnt check the tides at all, but guessed that it must be the fresh water running out over the top of salt water slowly trying to come in on a change of tide at Lakes- resulting in confusion for both me and the fish! Finally (around 3pm ish ) the Salt, on its way in, won the day ,and the boat swung around with the rather fickle current. About to pack up at 1530 (told Mrs P who unbeknown to me bought canine Pirkz to the Fort King jetty to meet Daddy on return) when the bite rate increased dramatically ( it wasnt hard ) and I ended up with 2 KGW at 28 cm and a dozen or so undersize at around 24 -26 ish. Not exactly a feed ,so all returned from the keepnet. 1610 I gave it away as the bites trailed off again, and headed home to face the wroth of a disappointed dog and - chicken for T!
Tight lines
Pirkz

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”