Metung area?

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Metung area?

Post by AE092 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 am

Hi all,

Heading down to Metung with some friends and the kids this weekend and was wondering of any okay landbased and possibly areas to fish off the boat (may be hiring a boat depending on weather). We were thinking of sinking some baits by the Tambo in the morning and maybe hiring a boat for a few hours if the weather wasn't too bad as we'll have the kids with us.

I've been reading Re-tyred's post but wouldn't have a clue where to go as most of my KGW fishing is done in WPB. Is it worthwhile bring crab nets and seeing if the sand crabs venture up that way or would the fresh water run off deter them?

Any help is appreciated

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Metung area?

Post by e.welch » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:26 am

AE092 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 am
Hi all,

Heading down to Metung with some friends and the kids this weekend and was wondering of any okay landbased and possibly areas to fish off the boat (may be hiring a boat depending on weather). We were thinking of sinking some baits by the Tambo in the morning and maybe hiring a boat for a few hours if the weather wasn't too bad as we'll have the kids with us.

I've been reading Re-tyred's post but wouldn't have a clue where to go as most of my KGW fishing is done in WPB. Is it worthwhile bring crab nets and seeing if the sand crabs venture up that way or would the fresh water run off deter them?

Any help is appreciated
My advice is if you can catch one of the little mullet put a hook through the back just behind it’s Finn and Hold on you can get some big tailor or flathead around their

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:29 am

The boardwalk is nice and convenient for the kids and the bread and butter species. We spent a bit of time there week before Easter and it was baby pinky central; kids had a ball, I had to get my thrills out on some surf salmon though...

PS: Do flick some plastics also; I nabbed a 60cm rat king there a couple of years ago; twas a blast on 6lb line.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:54 pm

Land bases for kids - There are 4 fishing platforms on the Tambo as well as open areas that you can fish from - Go for a drive and have a look around. Used to be able to buy Sand Worms in Johnsonville.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks for the input all. Looks like we'll try the Tambo and will bring the soft plastics too and see how that goes!

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Johnsonville has some good fishing as well. Plenty of bream to catch on the bank opposite the town.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”