Another go at the KG Whiting from Paynesville

ango

Another go at the KG Whiting from Paynesville

Post by ango » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:54 pm

With the excellent settled autumn weather and the holiday crowds thinning out a bit it was time to get the boat back in the water so I went out from Paynesville this morning for another go at the KG whiting. Out at 8.00am, in at 10.15 am with 10 whiting. The first one I caught was 38 cm or so which had me thinking the big one are back, but the next few soon put that idea to rest. I generally stop when I have 10, no point bagging out if you don't need them so I left them biting, hopefully they will still be there next time.
Cheers
Attachments
m_IMG_2014.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Another go at the KG Whiting from Paynesville

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:13 pm

That’s a nice catch mate!
Plenty of nice fillets there 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:38 pm

nice work!

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Despite reading here and frequent nautical manoeuvres I've yet to catch a KGW from around the Paynesville/ Raymond Island area ,although I did catch this solitary leatherjacket the other arvo way across the bay east of Raymond Island on squid in 3 metres. Appreciate any additional pointers.
Oh..... lost the anchor yesterday at Mcloughlin's on account it just detached from the chain on a drop! The connection was not something that I've ever checked in the 6 years that Ive had the boat... so now added to checklist. Lesson learned.. Fishing was tough with only a couple of flathead caught on bait along with a few of the usual suspects, mostly undersize, and a runner which almost took the rod over the side during T making and proved to be unstoppable....Water still coloured on the ebb down there.
Attachments
Leatherjacket2.jpg

ango

Post by ango » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:03 pm

3 m is too deep, try 1.5 to 2 m, look for a bit of weed and try using mussels for bait. You will have to hold your rod because otherwise the whiting will steal the mussel every time. Move around, give each spot 10-15 mins, if no bites then move on, only 100-300m each time until you find them. Once you get a few on mussels they seem to fire up and start taking the squid, the best strategy is to put a small bit of squid on after the mussel, this helps to hold it on and if you miss a bite there is a chance they will come back for the mussel.
Cheers.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:53 pm

I intend to be fishing to the South East of Carstairs bank on Tuesday morning. weather permitting. I will be there at daylight. If you are around come over and say g'day. I will show you what I do and where. My go to bait is local prawn and squid.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Ta
Its a date. PM' d.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:56 pm

So out in the dark and a 40 minute very cold run up to Woolaston bank. Had the lines in at daybreak. Pirkz turned up soon after. Couldn't lose a bait. Spent an hour there, then worked along the bank. Zippo. Headed back towards Metung and tried a couple more places. Same story. So went around to the channel at Nungurner, dropped them in and bang, straight away bites. There was lots of very small pinkies and undersize flatties, but a few school whiting and small KGW. Managed some size KGW.
Ended up with a feed.
Attachments
IMG_20210413_120857_4.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm

How did pirkz go? Same as you or nothing?

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi nada for me other than one toady who also got up early.. I shuffled about the bank until about 9.30 am (dawn start) but for nothing....this time out... Plus I made the schoolboy error of lifting the anchor just a bit to allow the northerly to drift me a 100m or so and left the berley pot and rods in...Chaos soon ensued as both lines snagged the anchor line resulting in 2 lost (carefully tied up the night before) rigs.. That was until I lifted the anchor to reposition properly and got them back - albeit in a slightly different (read tangled) configuration from when I dropped em in 10 minutes earlier. After that, whilst I still had one rig set up to fish with I lost interest in retying everything on what was a very quiet cool and breezy morning. So I called it stumps went home via Paynesville main boat ramp and took my wife to work( ha ha ). Although piscatorally speaking it was a defeat, overall in was a bit of a win - as by meeting up with re-tyred, it made good use of this forum, motivated me to get out of bed bloody early for once, and get afloat in the dark for the first time. Will be out and about chasing KGW again soon enough, though may have to go catch a few Mitchell river (probably mostly undersize) bream just to get a bend in my rod prior to a road trip to Nungurner.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”