Lakes Entrance - Fishing from boat

wade.allen

Lakes Entrance - Fishing from boat

Post by wade.allen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi All,

First time poster here, I am heading down to Lakes Entrance from Albury-Wodonga for the long weekend ( Managed to score some last minute accommodation )

Its the first time for me at Lakes Entrance since I was a young fella and wondering if I can get some guidance on what locations are best to put the boat in and what I should be looking for. Usually fish Port Stephens are so have a bit of experience in the salt.

Only have a Quintrex 4.2 so not looking at getting out in the open water.

Any Ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Lakes Entrance - Fishing from boat

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:40 pm

Ok, boat ramp is near Apex Park next to the hwy bridge on the western end of town. Fishing in the lake around lakes is quite challenging at times. King George whiting have been around at the barrier landing. Best is local prawn or squid. You can buy green prawns from some of the trawlers. You can also buy cooked ones for a feed.
You may find salmon around the entrance channel and up the lake towards Metung. You can also catch KGW around Metung and further up the lake. Look for sandy areas close to weed patches. Early morning or late afternoon has been better for whiting. You can pick up flatties drifting almost any area but they have been slow this year.
You can also go out to Lake Tyers. Flatties and bream have been ok out there. Usual prawns and Pillies or lures soft plastics.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

wade.allen

Post by wade.allen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:44 pm

Absolute legend thanks for the info ! That will get me started !

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 am

KGW areas
Attachments
_20210330_044251.png
_20210330_044224.png
_20210330_044129.png
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

wade.allen

Post by wade.allen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 am

Thanks mate thats a great help!
Any suggestions on rod setup? I was thinking lightweight like 6lb or something and paternoster rig?
Also if its not to much trouble do you have any tips on water depth I should be looking for.

Also are these points accessible from the APEX boat ramp as you previously mentioned ? Just shoot across the channel?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:59 am

Nothing fancy for a rod. 2kg nice and flexible 2mtr long. Lightest sinker you can get away with in the tide. 1.5 to 3 MTR depth. Small hooks. Size 2 or a bit smaller. If you go chasing flathead or bream at lake Tyers go to 2/0 hook if bait fishing. Always anchor up if whiting fishing or bream fishing. Bit of Burley helps.
Attachments
IMG_20210330_104313_8.jpg
IMG_20210330_104338_9.jpg

Geoffski
Has liked: 66 times

Post by Geoffski » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 am

HI Guys
If you get out onto Lake Tyers have a try trolling for Tailor using metal slices - They are monsters and very exciting. Over the Labor Day weekend we caught over a dozen and released all but 1 none were less than 60cm the one pictured below went to 75cm.
Attachments
IMG_2584.JPG

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm

Geoffski wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 am
HI Guys
If you get out onto Lake Tyers have a try trolling for Tailor using metal slices - They are monsters and very exciting. Over the Labor Day weekend we caught over a dozen and released all but 1 none were less than 60cm the one pictured below went to 75cm.
that would have been fun to catch!

Geoffski
Has liked: 66 times

Post by Geoffski » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:20 am

Absolutely! multiple runs, multiple jumps - the two sessions we had on them will be long remembered.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm

What a stonker !!!!! i wonder if i can catch that landbase. I'll be heading down there Anzac weekend hopefully i can get a feed. Unfortunately
i'm only landbase so i need some local infos of fish whereabouts. Would love to target Salmon and Luderick btw are prawns and crabs still
around atm? Thanks

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”