Scallops. Back to the 70s

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Re: Scallops. Back to the 70s

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 am

You want scallops you're using the dredge simple is that.
I can hear the howls from the leftys and the anti's from here even before it as started .
But I still say stuff the export mongrels first it should be mandated that are certain amount of tonnage is for the Australian market that drive the price down .
The price of a scallop is absolutely Ludacris in this country.
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:01 am

There were hundreds of dredgers working PPB. There are now only approx 20 scallop dredge licences to work the vast area of Bass strait. Damage to the bottom is similar to plowing a paddock if left alone for a few years it returns to it original state. Dredging is done on sandy bottom. It is not possible on reef. The Victorian fishery will have about 12 vessels working it. The price of scallops is directly related to quantify and demand. It has been many years since any where exported.
Last time I spoke to a scallop boat owner they were telling me they had to stump up $20k to register to enter the Commonwealth fishery at the start of the season, before going to sea. Large vessel worth a million dollars + 3 to 4 crew all expecting to make a good living for working long hours in tough conditions. Lots of restrictions on when and where to fish. Short season, less than 6 months. If the scallops aren't expensive no one would be out there catching them. Don't forget they have to be removed from the shell washed and packed in a shore factory that expects to pay staff and expenses as well.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:12 pm

Be good if we stopped exporting all our seafood....I'm really enjoying Crayfish prices at the moment

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Only problem is most of the boats have stopped working as it is not profitable to catch crays
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:33 pm

From what I read, there is a much more sustainable approach than what happened in PPB. Interesting re-tyred comments re cyclical effects but from the info published in the report, they rotate between several fisheries & are only taking a small %. PPB, they just took everything. Some "light readin" here. https://fish.gov.au/Archived-Reports/20 ... 201998.pdf
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Last time I looked they were selling crays for $80 a kilo to the CCP, why don't they sell them at $60 or $70 to the local market.
I don't see how that's not profitable, better than the boat rotting away at the mooring.
Is it a case the fishermen have been spoiled with high Chinese prices ? Just because your not making the same amount doesn't mean you shut up shop. Tailor your operations ? maybe cut down on days out ? stay closer to port to save on fuel ? I'm not a pro so I'm only assuming..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:19 pm

They have a quota. They fish to maximise their quota. No use cutting down on days. Staying close to home means working already over exploited ground. Better to go further afield. Fuel is not a huge part of costs for Cray fishing, unless you operate a large fast boat. Taking less means less wages. So if you cut the crews wages by 20% the crew quit and get an easier shore job. They tie their vessels up because the price does not cover operating costs. Anyone in business will sell their product to whoever pays the best price. They would be stupid not to. Also the local market just doesn't take enough product.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”