KGW Gippsland Lakes

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by hornet » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:17 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:50 pm
Well back today with salted mussels and prawn. Arrived before sun up. Nice bright moon though. Threw two lines in , one with mussel one with prawn. Bites straight away. Took a cpl of goes to hook one. Nice one in the Esky. So many bites I went to one rod. Very busy for about half an hour and a dozen in the Esky by the time the first other boat arrived. Slowed a bit.as the tide slacked off and the moon set. Sat at 15 in the Esky for about an hour. Noticed another boat land one a hundred metres to the south, so moved over to a little south of him.. 15 minutes and I had my bag. Interestingly quite a few on prawn today.
Hey retyred ... if your fishing on your own and the bites are so many your missing hook ups and need to go to one rod just use those Black magic KL whiting hooks on the sleeper rods, you'll find they hook themselves and stay hooked till you reel em in, best hooks I've ever used on multiple rod set ups, and they stay hooked !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:46 pm

Re-tyred very nice. Went out with a mate but arrived late at 1030. Think I saw you just packing up for the day. Joined an armada of 10-20 boats and caught ....donuts! Moved around a bit and ended up on the Nyermiling bank for a bit and then Nungurner in 11m before matey had to head home around 2pm. He blanked (thanks for coming though) and I had one small salmon and a blowy ! Need to get up earleir methinks. Luckily left half the woolies prawns at home in the fridge for prawn pasta T tonight so all is not lost. Cant win em all I guess. Agree with the post about the circle hook rigs above, just received 6 single double hook flasher rig packs off ebay for $9.95.
Pirkz

ango

Post by ango » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:54 am

I was out there yesterday, I too arrived late and had to work hard to get any fish. I ended up with half a doz after moving 8 or 9 times, the easterly came up pretty strong and with the boat yawing at anchor it was difficult to keep a tight line and hook them. Is there a channel at the north end of Flannigan island to save going time coming from Paynesville? It looks OK on google maps but when I tried it it was pretty shallow, less than half a meter at the deepest point I could find.
Cheers.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:07 am

Anjo if you mean bewteen NE bit of Flannigans and Fraser Island then no I dont think so - although I did see a small tinny negotiate it slowly on Tuesday. But from Paynesvile the quickest way is to come around the back of Flanigans as you leave Bancroft bay at Metung. Depth varies from 0.5 (darker blue) close to the point to 2.5 in the middle of the gap. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs.
Pirkz
Attachments
Screenshot_20221012-121259.png
Screenshot_20221012-120819.png

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:27 pm

Yes you can get there from both the eastern and western end. Just need to use Navionics bathymetric charts.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ango

Post by ango » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:09 am

Thanks guys, I mixed my directions, I meant the western end of Flanagans and you have confirmed what I thought, I will try launching at Paynesville and going down the back of Flanagans next time I go out.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:35 pm

Up while it was dark again. Headed up to Flanagan in the half light. Soon as the sun broke the horizon I had my first bite and hooked it. 35cm KGW. In fairly quick succession I landed 7 more one going 42cm. Then nothing no bites. After half an hour I moved, then moved another 5 times till I was back where I started. Zippo. Tried down at the barrier for zip. Home by morning tea. Ate half of them for lunch :P good feed.
Attachments
IMG_20221017_112623_972.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:07 am

Very nice again re-tyred. Looked like a perfect fishing day when I walked the dog yesterday morning. Unfortunately I had an appointment with QF to fly to Uk for a few weeks so the KGW will have to wait a bit for an invite to my place. I shall monitor the board (and your reports) with interest from afar to see if and when they are caught further up the system.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:52 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:35 pm
Up while it was dark again. Headed up to Flanagan in the half light. Soon as the sun broke the horizon I had my first bite and hooked it. 35cm KGW. In fairly quick succession I landed 7 more one going 42cm. Then nothing no bites. After half an hour I moved, then moved another 5 times till I was back where I started. Zippo. Tried down at the barrier for zip. Home by morning tea. Ate half of them for lunch :P good feed.
Very tasty looking catch mate.
Well done 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:52 pm

Nice sunny 🌅 morning and warm. Rare treat lately. Headed out before daylight. Didn't get anything in my usual spot south of Flannagan. Moved east a bit closer to Fraser island, to last year's fav spot and on straight away. Had to be home by 9am so left them biting. 11 nice big ones. Mostly on pealed prawn.
Attachments
IMG_20221027_102230_194.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”