re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:41 pm

fishnut wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:10 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:32 pm
KGWs were on the sand in front of coastguard lakes this morning.
You get some mate
No I was just breaking mussels up and throwing them in the water. KGWs were schooling up to eat them. Water is getting much clearer now. Lots of fish in Cunningham arm at the moment
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:13 pm

Left at 6am looking for KGWs. Went to the barrier. No bites. I only had squid with me as I forgot to get some prawns. Headed up to the south side of Flanagan's island. Half a doz boats there. Some catching some not. Another guy close by was getting a good bite on prawns. He was kind enough to give me a few.. That changed things up to the point I had to go back to just one rod. Pretty much straight onto it as soon as the prawn hit the bottom. Funny thing is I ended putting a second rod out with squid and caught a few on that. I swear once you get them going it's like seagulls after your chips.
About an hour on the spot and I had my 20. All good fish low 30c to high 30s and fat.
Attachments
IMG_20220228_105837_7.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:56 pm

Very Very nice

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:37 am

I have a mate up the road a bit,who is a keen Fisher but hasn't every chased or caught a whiting in the lakes. Asked him last night if he wanted to come out today.
So he did. Picked him up at 7-30am ,we were fishing just after 8am. By 5 past he had his first KGW. It was a bit slow for a start. A small shift of about 50mtrs, a bit of Burley and the seagulls flocked for their chippies. :wt:
9-30am and we are done. 40 in the Esky.
He says whiting fishing is easy. :rf: Prawns were their choice today.
South side of Flanagan's Island 2 mtrs.
Attachments
IMG_20220304_110731_9.jpg

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:57 am

hope you enjoy the KGW :ft: :ch:

frankgoff
Has liked: 9 times

Post by frankgoff » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:52 am

Hey re-tyred. Have you heard any reports on prawning recently?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:36 am

Plenty of prawns at lake tyers

ango

Post by ango » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:01 pm

I was out there this morning, it was a hot bite for sure, I used mussel, pippies & squid for bait, I fished out the back of Flanagan's island in 1.8m, I stopped at 16, I could have easily bagged out. When I left I gave my bait to another boat that had just arrived, hopefully they get a few.

Chgeers
Ango.
Attachments
m_IMG_2066.jpg

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:02 pm

Headed out this morning, lots of flood water in the lake again. Water is dirty brown. Tide was ebbing, so conditions didn't give me much confidence on KGWs. Tried last weeks spot for half an hour, no bites. Moved a little bit shallower and had a cracking bite first cast. It ran taking line, a bit too much for a KGW, sure enough a reasonable size salmon for the lake. Moved again towards Fraser Island. Another cracking bite, Taylor this time. I put a lure on and cast out , bang almost as soon as it hit the water. spent half an hour casting a lure and produced 1 more salmon and 10 more Taylor, some quite fat.
With them bled and gutted and in iced water I headed off prospecting for whiting. Tried over at Kelly head for 2 toadies. :( Then down the Barrier for zip. Zipped around to Nyrimerlang bank.Tide was running crazy there. Moved to the east and in closer to Rigby Island to get out of the un a bit. Pinkies toadies and finally 2 KGWs. :P It was nearly lunch time so packed it in and went home. Taylor and salmon are now filleted, skinned and sitting in brine for tomorrow's smoking.
That's fishing.. :gj:
Attachments
IMG_20220311_132642_5.jpg

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:03 pm

ango wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:01 pm
I was out there this morning, it was a hot bite for sure, I used mussel, pippies & squid for bait, I fished out the back of Flanagan's island in 1.8m, I stopped at 16, I could have easily bagged out. When I left I gave my bait to another boat that had just arrived, hopefully they get a few.

Chgeers
Ango.
I must have left too early. Oh well maybe sunday

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”