KGW Gippsland Lakes

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Pirkz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:25 pm

Best prawns around at the moment ( IMO) are Woolies bannana prawns @ $17 kg as they are a no fuss bait and enticed these KGW over 2 x 4 hr sessions yesterday and this morning. 15 & 20 with 6 @ 30 ish returned
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
12 jASN X20.jpg
11jAN X15.jpg

Tackleberry
Has liked: 302 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:14 pm

Very nice pirkz .
Looks like I'm gunna have to give them a go .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

tom_snowball
Has liked: 1 time

Post by tom_snowball » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:43 am

Nice result Pirkz. We tried Woolaston yesterday afternoon without luck. We tried the area where the old white buoy used to be. Will try Woolies prawns this afternoon or tomorrow morning and move around a bit.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:17 pm

Gave it a go today. Just 2 large ones. Hot morning today. Interestingly heaps of undersize yellow fin bream around
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 am

Just curious if anyone has managed KGW the past 2 weeks? I did a whiting trip last week between Lakes and Nungurner and surrounds for zero whiting but had fun with a school of Tailor. Gummy baits and burley sorted for a trip or two.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:01 am

Got 2 yesterday 33cm. Moved around Woolaston but very very quiet there. Also drifted across the shallows over on the Bank and although I saw a few KGW,nothing was caught. May launch today after coffee and reading this forum and head up to Metung area.
Pirkz
PS Fished MCL last week with Offsider for a dozen flatties around 40 ish - so pretty quiet as unusually no other species caught.

JackDaniels61
Has liked: 12 times

Post by JackDaniels61 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:15 pm

Today 30th Jan - Fished Carstairs Bank, Woolaston and South Flanigans on banana prawn, mussels and pippi for zero results. Beautiful morning on the water though so not all lost. Will head to Lakes Tyres tomorrow and try and find a garfish or 2.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone - something I noticed now that the water is clearer was that some of the weed beds around Fraser Is and The Barrier have either gone or are much reduced. My favorite KGW honey hole - about a 12 m diameter sand patch surrounded by week - is now several times the size and the weed is now very patchy.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:40 pm

Paulanderson wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:31 pm
Thanks everyone - something I noticed now that the water is clearer was that some of the weed beds around Fraser Is and The Barrier have either gone or are much reduced. My favorite KGW honey hole - about a 12 m diameter sand patch surrounded by week - is now several times the size and the weed is now very patchy.
The weed there has been slowly depleted over the last few years. Combination of European shore crabs, swans and moving sand.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:14 am

Decided to get afloat yesterday and have a general mooch about around the Sperm whale head area in search of new KGW grounds. So 9am saw me launching at the Paynesville yacht club ramp.Slight breeze gettuing up but forecast was within limits so I was looking forward to being afloat for the afternoon. Passed the cardinal marker south of Raymone Island and thought bugger it... too nice a day not to have a fish exploring can wait, so hung a left and headed over to the flats. Water is now pretty clear over there now and over the course of 2.5 hrs managed 12 kgw (32-42), 2 keeper bream (32) and numerous others along with some rather large toadys! Also hooked and lost what would have been a keeper Flatty - a first FH for me in the Lakes! Several moves were required and the fishing is still very fickle as I went out earlier in the week and scored 1kgw only . R*ssell H£bbs cyrovac machine got its first workout - very pleased with the results for a sort of 'budget' machine.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
30jankgw.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”