KGW Gippsland Lakes

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Pirkz » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:26 pm

Fished today by bouy No 4 as shown on some fisho charts - hint ..southern end of Raymond Island. Took Mrs P out .Normally a kiss of death. But despite a slow start and 14 boats about the area, caught T. Settled in amongst em after multiple moves and ended up with 11 KGW - though a bit smaller than my previous encounter. Biggest 42 smallest keeper 34. A couple released around that size. Wind blowing hard after midday -25 kph + so headed in though bites still teasing. Ironically chicken for T. Note to self ... missus needs more casting & striking practice....
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:38 pm

More for the freezer Pirkz - wind over 30 knots gusting over 40 knots just now at 9.30 pm - hope it settles down for tomorrow as the fishing itch is very strong!!!

ango

Post by ango » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:52 pm

Next Friday & Saturday are looking good, I hope to get out & have a try around the Paynesville area, I haven't been out for a while so very keen to give it a go.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:38 am

Sold the old Tinny cheaply to the neighbour and have been hassled ever since to take him out to demo the idiosyncrasies of a 1990 boat and show him the KGW ropes. So yesterday with no wind forecast we set sail - well sort of - on account of the 2006 40HP Merc (trim currently buggerred - hence cheaply) on the back. After launching at Paynesville yacht club ramp the first stop was not as planned across the bay at the designated mark, but 50 m from the ramp to tow in an un fortunate sole, who's battery refused to play ball, and despite his best efforts with a pair of oars, was going around in circles ,much to our amusement (its the simple things in life that amuse these days). On grabbing his tow rope he muttered = Well it worked last year - unquote! Being kinda confident in my KGW detection abilities I told him to come find us if he wanted a feed! Good deed for the day done we headed out to the shallows over towards Ocean Grange . Being a working day for most of the under 60's there was only one other boat around. Crewmate / proud new first time (old) boat owner, purported to be a keen accomplished fisher, though looking at his children's rod, 20lb line and a size 2/0 hook ,I doubted if he had ever seen a KGW before! Anyway tackle adjusted for expected conditions (here use my spare 8ft 2-3kg, size 8 hook outfit), we commenced operations using the $25 of Woolies prawns he had generously supplied. Over the next 3 hrs and several moves in 1.6m over sand, we managed to bag 22 KGW between us - biggest 41 with most 36 -38 ish, and despite his over exuberant , read too early, striking and skull dragging style, he did well - with a 60/40 split in may favour ( 40 years fishing experience just giving me an edge ha ha). And an hour in matey boy (rescued earlier) pitched up, albeit $225 lighter for a new battery, and with a few prawns donated by us caught a feed of KGW (3) before heading off. So all good on the flats. Just need to move the Tinny from my garage to the neighbours drive now and I can start looking for a replacement vessel .
Just to add be interested in any feedback here or PM re the benefits of operating a centre console tinny - 4 stroke equipped.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
PS Some big bream skulking around under the Paynesville jetties if anyone is interested.
Attachments
11mar22kgw.jpg

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 pm

Pirkz you are doing a lot better than I! Yesterday was 4 keepers around 33 - 34 cm and today another 3. Moved around a bit trying different spots and watching other boats but, like me, their main catch was toadies. It seems though that there have been a few good whiting around the barrier area - might give that a try tomorrow.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:42 am

Very nice catch Pirkz! 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:54 am

Do the whiting from lakes have different taste

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:32 am

To me the KGW from Lakes taste the same as WPB and St Vincent's Gulf in SA.

Fishing the past two days has been grim with lots of moving around, many toadies, some small whiting and just a couple of keepers. Those fishing close by also have not done well. It really seems most of the whiting are up the Paynesville end of the Lakes system at present.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:52 pm

Fished Sun with Mrs P for 3 KGW and today with the neighbour and his new, and my old, boat for 5 in 4 hrs. Sizes 36-38 ish. Tough going even up Paynesville way. 2 others out had 6 and 7 KGW. Reckon they must have moved on towards Loch Sport. Just need a new boat to confirm that theory.
Tight lines
Pirkz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:52 am

Basics, warm water and no rain. Further up the system. When the water cools or it rains a lot, then they will more back towards lakes. Only problem is once well up the lake there is plenty of shallow areas to scatter them out.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”