KGW Gippsland Lakes

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:56 am

I will target this spot when I get home from Tassie
Attachments
Screenshot_20230315-075538969.png
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ango

Post by ango » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:14 pm

I had a session this am, south of Raymond Island, a slow morning, I only caught 4 KG Whiting, but they were all around 38 cm so a good feed there. Squid & mussels did the damage. When I came in Fisheries were at the ramp, (Fort King), they had a couple bailed up and lots of tailor being counted out, I think they were in trouble.
Cheers.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:46 pm

Hey guys, been awhile since I’ve been to Gippy, but I’m here for the next few days for prawns and maybe a fish during the afternoon.

Have heard that Lake Tyers is the go for prawns with the mouth still closed. Am planning on launching tonight from mills point ramp and heading up the Nowa Nowa arm. Was going to try Nowa Nowa ramp but have heard there that it’s super shallow and plenty of rocks which doesn’t appeal to me with a fibreglass tiller steer.

Any recommendations on spots to try for kgw or if there are any kingies floating around.

Cheers Shaz
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:40 am

Seriously tough fishing at the Lakes Entrance end of the Gippsland Lakes at present. Just scratching an occasional decent whiting and a big tailor or two to make life interesting! Most others I have spoken to have not done any better. Tomorrow will try further up the system if the weather cooperates.

Paul

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:59 pm

Yeah I fished 7am to 11am . Nyerimilang bank. 4 KGWs. Decent size. Very slow going. Probably go flatty fishing offshore sunday
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

shazdoggg

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakesyear

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Cheers for the replies guys!

Just got home this afternoon and only checked this thread now as I left my phone in my pocket when I went wading on Wednesday night 😫. Didnt realise for 30 or so minutes by which time it was fried.

Ended up prawning at Lake Tyers both nights and did ok, taking about 5 kilos of decent sized prawns over the two nights.

Did most of my prawning in an area known as the glasshouse and also did a little from the fishermens landing boat ramp jetty last night on the way in.

Launched from Mill point boat ramp on Wednesday night after checking for Lake Tyers boat ramps online. Decided that this would be a decent ramp as it has a nice angle to the water to ease launching. It’s literally launching from the bank with no concrete so could be challenging for larger boats. It doesn’t have any lighting so finding it in the dark is near impossible unless you can find your trailer and car.

Launched from Fishermans landing boat ramp on Thursday night and it’s got a concrete ramp and decent lighting close by but not at the ramp. The channel out is so narrow and didn’t register on my version of navionics(5 years old). Said I was cruising in land for the first few kms from the ramp. Combining this and the new moon, it took n eternity to head out. I must have hit shallow mud banks around 8 times(new record) before reaching the glasshouse area which is on near the entrance to the sea. One of the banks I hit threw me forward and the fish finder screen dislodged from the bracket. It came up from 4m to 0.3m in a matter of metres. Luckily I only have a small 4m boat so I was able to jump into the water and push it off the mud and weed.

Came back in early last night as had checkout today so arrived at the motel around 1am instead of 2am the previous night.

Also took the boat out yesterday afternoon for a fish in the lakes. Launched near the info centre and trolled mad mullet and micro mullet lures to Kalimna near Rigby island for no hits. Managed to snag lots of weed so spent some time de weeding lures.

Also tried some fresh prawn from the night before and also strips of arrow squid I had caught with the prawns and caught a few toadfish and a tiny pinkie fishing three different areas with 2 rods. Also threw a small plastic around near the jetty at Rigby island but no joy. Sounded up fish, 1.5m from the bottom in 5m of water which I can only guess are small pinkies in tight schools.

Had a fun few days and had some great chats with the locals. Will be definitely be back next year!

Cheers Shazdoggg
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:12 pm

Flatties were easier than KGWs. 15 + 1 gummy. 1nm South of the entrance. 18mt
Might give the KGWs another go later in the week
Attachments
IMG_20230326_124228_674.jpg

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:14 pm

Hi - hopefully bad reports can be as useful as good ones - anyway! Monday and today 5 hour trips to the usual spots close to Lakes Entrance. Bait was mussels, squid and raw prawn. Monday resulted in a 36 cm whiting and a good sized leatherjacket (tasted great) and today was zip - many toadies, schools of very tiny snapper and a few small whiting. Those fishing around the general area that I spoke to had done equally badly - most with zeros. Most were continually moving from spot to spot. Perhaps re-tyred has some idea of what is going on with the whiting.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:17 pm

Yeah I went Monday for donuts. Tried all the usual spots around lakes. So not very helpful. Last year the moved into Cunningham arm when it cooled off. I have noticed a lot of bream in the arm around the jetties. Might be worth a fish. Be next week before I have another go as I am busy preparing for an extended trip up north.

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:26 pm

Thanks for the info - there are certainly some really big bream under the town jetties.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”