KGW Gippsland Lakes

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Pirkz » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:33 pm

Fished yesterday around Shaving point for 1@38 kgw and a few of the usual suspects. Water is very clear compared to last year
Apr n May saw some good catches according to my records with Wollaston featuring highly. Away for Easter but will give the old marks a go once back. 2 .....yes 2 new boats to try out (720 km today to collect no 3 today from Yea), then will have to sell the third...trying times for a boat lover.....
Tight Lines
Pirkz

ango

Post by ango » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:06 am

I was out there yesterday, I fished from the west end of Woolaston Bay up to the Aurora channel entrance. Result was 1 x 39 cm KG whiting. I used mussel and squid for bait with the mussel getting the single whiting. The water was pretty clear and I saw plenty of them about but not schooled up, in groups of 2 -3 fish. The problem was that the water was 1 - 1.5 m deep an they were spooked by the boat as soon as you saw them. There were plenty of small bream and small gar fish about too and some pretty spectacular tailer bust ups. I hooked a couple of the tailer but they headed into the weeks and the hook pulled, they felt pretty good size too. I expect the fishing will pick up in the next year or 2, one thing, I have not caught any dusky flathead for a couple of years, I wonder what happened to them?

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:41 pm

Thanks for the report ango. I have managed three decent Flatties as whiting fishing by-catch around Frazer Is this year and a boat chasing them with soft plastics has been getting some good fish - they had three around 45 to 50 cm one day last week.

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:31 pm

Well Lakes fishos aside from lousy weather over Easter has anyone been out and, if so, where and how did you go? At the Lakes Entrance end I checked out 3 boats yesterday as they came in. A charter boat had 1 Flathead, another regular had 1 Bream, and the third zip! This morning I really could not be bothered - particularly with a rain band on the way.

SLE355
Has liked: 1 time

Post by SLE355 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:54 pm

At Lakes for the last 3 days, nothing but crabs, even out on a boat today.

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:44 am

Pity Loch Sport is a very long haul - several posts there with pics of good whiting catches in recent days.

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes - Where's Wally?

Post by Pirkz » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:58 pm

On the back of someone from Loch Sport posting a FB pic of a dozen nice KGW caught around the Paynesville area last week, Ive been out 3 times over the last few day putting about 8 hrs on the motors clock. Fished Shaving point Woolaston Bay and Boole Poole area for a total of 2 undersize KGW and multiple small bream n toadies. Water still gin clear and temp showing around14.5. Spent a couple of hrs today with the electric motor on just creeping about North of Raymond Island and Woolaston but only small stuff to be seen. Considering a MCL trip tomorrow as the freezer is empty of fish.....could always ask the neighbours for a few back I suppose.......
Tight Lines..... if you can find em
Pirkz

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:08 am

Two trips around the usual spots close to Lakes Entrance resulted in just a couple of very small whiting and many toadies. Gave the soft plastics a run in shallow (about 1 metre) water over mixed sand and weed at Fraser Is resulting in 2 good flatties plus lost one that would have been pushing the 55 cm limit.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:45 am

Yesterday fished in 11 m off Nungurner for a couple of small 42 cm gummies or school sharks on blue bait (not sure of the difference without googling) which were returned and a few small gurnard .Then played musical anchors and moved around via Nyerimilang Bank, The Barrier and Flannagan's using mussel and pipi for nowt. But there's always tomorrow - which coincidentally is forecast to be nice - as is Friday.
So currently very slack lines...
Pirkz
Attachments
Gummy1.jpg

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:33 pm

Yes where to go over the next day or two? Can't make my mind up whether to go offshore or up the lake. Have tried all the usual spots for zip. Took my 8yo granddaughter for a fish at Nungurner. She managed 4 school sharks all under size and one flying gurnard. She was happy. I might give it a go over near goat channel. Friday or sunday
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”