Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:12 pm

Great catch mate.
They look nice size as well
Cheers 👍🏻

Pirkz
Has liked: 230 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Pirkz » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:04 pm

Lightningx .Yep a few were bigger than Ive caught before so a pb in there Im sure. Almost weighed the biggest one (35 cm ) back home as it was quite a stocky fish but couldn't be bothered in the end. Bigger fish came from shallower water obviously a bit more to eat down amongst the weed beds. Day off today as no squid left in IGA. Missed a lot of bites so may experiment with progressively smaller hooks (was using a 4 & 6 )and may even try a pennel rig with a small 10 or 12 trailing the bait to see if that makes a difference. Or may travel down to McLoughlin's and chase a few Flathead on bait..... decisions decisions....
Pirkz

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:13 pm

Briefly - (so short story short for a change) went out after the rain mid morning as it was pretty calm and found that the KGW were still biting around the Shaving Point , Moorcroft bay area. One fisho whom I met up with at anchor, bagged out after about 1.5 hrs. I threw a few around 30 cm back, as the bite was quite good, and returned home about about an hour after him (as a lively easterly had kicked in ) with 17 fish - 32-35 ish. Usual bait n tactics. Most were donated to a deserving family / worthy cause as we have enough.
Tight lines
Pirkz

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:51 pm

Took two grandies out to Nungurner. There was a break in the wind and rain. Lovely morning not as many boats out today. Dropped anchor and within a minute young Seth is onto a nice KGW. 33cm. Before I could get my rod in he had another. Very busy baiting up kids rods , dehooking fish and coaching their technique. Phoebe soon had her first for the day. By the time Seth had four I hadn't managed to hook one. Phoebe was winging about her little brother being on the best side of the boat, as Seth hauled in number six. By this time I had managed one. The trend continued for an hour or so. By stumps ( 11-30am) the score was Seth 9 KGW, Phoebe 4kgw 1 flathead and 1 flying guard. Me 3 KGW. :o_0:
Gave Phoebe some boat driving lessons on the way home. She is only a year away from licence time.
Teaching her to fillet. She already cooks them. Just preparing for my old age when she takes me fishing :P
Attachments
IMG-20220107-WA0006.jpg
IMG_20220107_094014_8.jpg
IMG_20220107_113608_0.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:30 pm

Donuts for us today and got soaked into the bargain at the ramp after an early finish to fishtivities. Took the bigger Rae Line 186 out today as I had my better half on board and spent a fair bit of time p%ssing about through the front hatch trying to anchor up whilst protecting the gel coat - not an easy task. Arrived late on parade and joined a small armada anchored off Shaving Point around 1030 ish. No wind, no tide, no fish and bloody hot. Couple of moves for nowt. After an hour we gave up and headed off to X marks the spot- Old Faithful - Nungurner . Probably there by about 12 ish and joined a few other boats there. - not busy though. Couple of bites each and that was it. Sun soon gave way to shadow (should have checked the forecast -But ' Nah She'll be Right - must be turning native after 20 years) and the sky darkened and about 40 mins in, Mrs Pirkz casually mentioned (whilst I was baiting her rod once again) that the BOM radar pic looking ominous . Quick squiz by me and - yep storms inbound - soonish- so we upped lines and headed for home asap - almost beating the first Thunderstorm unloading on Paynesville and getting soaked (well I did) on the retrieve. So obviously need to get up earlier, and decode the tidal run around those areas, - seems that when there is an incoming flow the bite improves. But Cest La Vie - Nungurner I forgive you - this time. Obviously someone (no names mentioned ) - had beaten us to the fish - an early bird and all that. Good to see kids catching though, as hopefully it will motivate them towards a lifetime of chasing time in the great outdoors and a tight line or two!
Tight Lins
Pirkz (+Mrs Pirkz)
Attachments
RaeLine & Armada2.jpg

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:18 am

Dude, you need to get a "button" for that anchor. Saves the aggravation of the significant other :) Last couple of days. Kids/grandkids came down. Yep, Poppy "knows all the best spots for fish. Result. 1 whiting, 1 salmon & 70000000 toadies (unusual as they have been quiet lately).
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:16 pm

mr smokey wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:18 am
Dude, you need to get a "button" for that anchor. Saves the aggravation of the significant other :) Last couple of days. Kids/grandkids came down. Yep, Poppy "knows all the best spots for fish. Result. 1 whiting, 1 salmon & 70000000 toadies (unusual as they have been quiet lately).
Everything’s gone quiet very few places are firing up with good amounts of fish yet there’s a couple here and there in ppb but it’s extremely inconsistent even in boats it’s been on and off

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:28 pm

Mr smokey - agree that a 'button' would be very useful addition - but saw an invoice for fitting an electric winch for the same model boat on Boatsales site last year and it totalled $4k, so it will be a bit of Heave Ho for the foreseeable future until I can decide on whether to chop the Rae Line and old tinny in for 1 x sensible, outboard driven ,garageable, fishing platform. Following on from that Friday outing, fished Shaving Point area on Sunday 11am to 3;0pm. Initially caught nowt, so moved to Nungurner for an hour - resulting in only 1KGW - and then back to the 3m line in Moorcroft Bay for another KGW in an hour. Then as the tide appeared to turn i.e flow back towards Paynesville, I had a relatively busy spell boating 4 KGW in an hour on squid and or peeled prawn. But overall very quiet compared to the week before. Fished McLoughlin's on Tues (not without drama) resulting in some flathead. Just mustering up the enthusiasm to write a short post on that one.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:39 pm

All the fish around lakes metung are biting on the incoming tide for some reason lately. With all the flood water around seems there are only short spurts of biting. Look at Gippsland ports site and time your fishing for flood Tide. If I can't catch the flood and it's calm I just go offshore and chase the flatties.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Offshore flatties have been in 10 to 15 Metres anyware from the pines to the pipeline. Just have to keep moving till you find them. Interestingly the couple of small rocks in 15 mtrs 5-7 mile west have produced a few snapper lately. This makes me think stockyard reef 24nm west might be the go.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”