KGW Gippsland Lakes

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes-

Post by Pirkz » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:50 am

Woolaston 7-10 am today. Thought that Id get out before the wind kicked in. Joined 4 other boats scattered around who obviously sailed earlier than me and anchored up in 2m next to a marker left by the bloke mentioned above. - same spot that I fished on Monday for 7. Anyway pretty quiet start followed by a quiet 2 fish finish about an hour later when I moved to another random spot in 1.8 over weed. Ended the morning with 10 mostly mid size around 34 ish with 1 @ 4 0 on prawn. Found that the only way to catch em today was to leave the float and or paternoster literally over the back of the boat with the bait presented above or just in the weed. Pretty quiet morning bite wise though. Lakes new charter boat pitched up within 50 m of the first mark around 7.25, though Im not sure how they went without checking their FB page - Saw a couple come aboard and heard plenty of laughter so no doubt a good morning afloat nevertheless. Will give it another go tomorrow and try and launch a bit earlier as it would be nice to see a sunrise over the lakes at least once this year.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
8 jan x10.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:37 pm

Tasty looking catch mate 😊
Hope you get some more tomorrow! Good luck.
Cheers 👍🏻

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes - Woolaston -Everyman & his dog

Post by Pirkz » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:19 pm

Up at the crack of dawn and motoring across Woolaston by 0515 this morning.Tried the marker (see above) for 10 minutes before moving on. First cab off the rank so had the whole Bay to myself with a second boat arrived some 15 minutes later, and the new Lakes charter boat arriving shortly after that. I moved over to another area previously frequented about 200m away and anchored up in 1.9m over patchy weed (according to thre sounder). Light breeze and a bit of run so pretty much idylic conditions. Few boats arrived and stayed up to the North whilst I was Billy No Mates more centrally positioned. Usual tactics and bait, (see previous post), and a few fish soon came aboard. Joined by the sun at 0600 ,and marker man and his mate and dog around 0700 ish by which time I had 10 in the bag and 3 returnees arund 32 ish - they had nowt! They were joined by their mates, who were then joined by their mates - you know how it goes when you start catching, and soon the 'seagulls' arrived from the northern end of the Bay. By the time I bagged out and headed in around 0900, I counted 14 boats and a lone fishing jetski all up , with 9 inside a 50 m radius of my original position ( 3 of which had a canine companion in) and 3 of them were within 20m of me whilst I was fishing - nice to be so popular! Mussel prawn and squid all caught today and I berleyed using those BCF whiting pellets at $9.95 2kg bag. Reckon most would have got a good feed if not their bag limit as the bite appeared pretty steady across many (though not all) of the boats. Could get used to this early morning lark as it really is the nicest part of the day. 8 fish donated and filleting done - Now off for a well earned kip. Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
9JAN24KGWMARK63.jpg
Sunrise9Jan0520.jpg

tom_snowball
Has liked: 1 time

Post by tom_snowball » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Hi Pirkz
Thanks for your informative posts. We are heading down to Metung next week. We normally fish around the Fraser Island / Kalimna area with reasonable success. This time we will try your neck of the woods. I will say hello if we see you out.

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes - Donuts

Post by Pirkz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:14 pm

Just for balance. Fished 8am -12 today over in Woolaston and down as far as the red marker post to the SW....didn't even get a bite! Not even a toady!! Few other boats about - all moving constantly so a hard day for all. The Usual Suspect i.e. the Marker man, had 8 for the morning most (6) by the red marker post on mussel n float in 1.3m over the sand. All afloat had a good day in Woolaston on Tues apparently - so my spies tell me . Didn't blank though as on the way back to the ramp saw the birds diving and chucked a bar lure for a single tailor - returned! Not sure if that counts as a 'bite' though! Time for a few days off the lake me thinks!
Tight Lines
Pirkz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:19 am

I took my granddaughter to Woolston bay on Wednesday. It was tough going but managed to get her onto 3 good size KGWs . She was happy.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:54 am

Launched at 8 am for a couple of hours in Woolaston Bay on Saturday- but stayed out till 1200 for....4 toadies and a 15 cm kgw! Fished various depths (1.4 - 2.2 m) over sand patches and weed beds but couldn't find em. Coupla other boats had the same problem. May have to take up golf again and ask the neighbours for some fish back! Winds up till about Fri so will give it another go then.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

tom_snowball
Has liked: 1 time

Post by tom_snowball » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:54 pm

Finally got to Woolaston Bay today. Fished 11.30 to 3.00 for 13 Whiting to 40cm. Probably arrived a bit too late, as most fish were caught.in first hour. Around 2.00, a huge school of Tailor arrived. Thanks to Pirkz for your informative posts.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:29 am

I won't be up there till February as I am heading bush to Dartmouth next week. No idea about trout fishing, but going to give it a go with some mates who have some idea. We are taking a boat and 🍻🍺 so no worries 😂
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes- Wollaston Update

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:34 pm

Just a quick update re KGW, mainly for any visitors that may come this way .I continue to fish Wollaston on a semi regular basis - well almost daily if the truth was known. But compared to a few weeks back, its been very quiet / read disappointing. Fished mornings 8-12 before the wind freshens and hits 20kph, and despite similar tactics and baits to previous sessons, the scores for the last few outing have been 0,5,4,0 and 2 today. Even the locals / regulars are finding it hard going. Maybe something to do with the tides i.e there hasn't been much movement when I've been afloat, I don't know. Anyway will be al the sweeter when the bites start again!
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”