KGW Gippsland Lakes

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Well with the KGWs seeming to have moved from the Kalimna to Nungurner area it was time to look elsewhere. After the tip on here about the Woolaston bay area I thought it would be worth heading up past Metung to see what I could find. I am familiar with the area as I worked on the survey team that created the data for the latest charts of the Lake System. I have never fished there though. I picked and area to the South East of Carstairs bank as to me it looked promising going by the depth contours. Some nice steep banks each side of weedy shallows.
The weather for Australia day was not much wind early but kicking up from the SW around lunch time with some rain. SW would be behind me travelling home and with it only being 15-20knts it wasn't a worry.
So out of bed 4am cup of tea slice of left over Pizza, smachko for the dog bait and rods, boat hooked up and off.
Still dark when I launch and not many at the ramp. 25 minute run up the lake past Metung, flat calm warm night. :tu:
Found my predetermined spot dropped the anchor baited up with squid and salted mussels and sat down.
Waiting waiting....oh a bit of a bite :wt: nope gone... back again and the rod bends , feels like a whiting.. yep nice size KGW.
Nothing for the next 20 minutes. Now fully light, and along come 3 boats from the direction of Paynesville they go straight around the other side of the bank into Woolaston bay and drop anchor. Oh well better go round there. As I am going there the old fishing instinct is telling me, why are you leaving a place you caught a good size KGW they are a school fish if there is one there is more close by. But locals no best so I went and anchored near them. That wasted 30 minutes. Now back to the unfinished business where I started. Once back there, I did a slow idle up and down checking where the weed line was and looking along the bank a bit. Decided on a spot maybe 100 meters from earlier on. Anchored up nice and quietly and cast close to the weed line. As I baited the second rod, the other rod which I had neglected to put in a holder yet, shot across the deck and was heading for the side. I might be old but when a fish is involved I seem to get lightning fast reflexes.. :rf: Grabbed it as it started to head over the side and had a bit of a fight on with a light rod. Definitely a whiting action. Couple of minutes and a very nice 40+cm whiting is in the net. So back goes the line and the second rig goes in too. Before I can rinse my hands off they are both bent over going nuts. KGW 3 and 4 soon hit the deck, followed by 5,6,7,8,9 and 10 in about 20 minutes. Then all goes quiet. Ok so I'll just wait to see if we get another school go through. Bit of tidy up and cut some more bait. One of the locals from the other side must of spotted what I was up to and turned up close by. Watched him for a bit he was about 100mtrs away on the same depth contour. Yep could see him land up a fish. About then a gust of northerly struck and my anchor dragged, so I pulled it up and repositioned myself. As I was doing it I noticed him get another fish. So back in with the lines and it was on again. A double header of 40+ fish and another on the second line. I was a busy boy. 20 minutes and I think I am up to 18 or 19 so did a recount and yes 19. Cast out just one rod 30 seconds and bagged out. It was only 8.45am. Went over and said g'day to the other guy. He had 10, told him I was bagged out, and headed for home. Just as I headed it started to rain and blow about 15knts of NW, somewhat unpleasant ride for 10 minutes till I reached the narrower channel at Metung, cranked it up and crouched behind the centre console to keep out of the rain and gunned it back to the ramp. Got absolutely drenched getting the boat out and it is still raining now after 1pm.
Attachments
KGW 2021-01-26.jpeg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:45 pm

" I might be old but when a fish is involved I seem to get lightning fast reflexes.. "
:rf:

Bagged out by 8:45am, that's a good record. :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Great report mate
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm

Very nice looking bag of kgw.
Great catch.
Cheers 👍🏻

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Nice report thanks for posting. :gj:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:05 pm

Great report ReTyred did you use burley or just bait. In Westernport I don't fish for KGW without burley.

On another species of whiting do you get sand whiting where you are on the lakes?
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:17 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:05 pm
Great report ReTyred did you use burley or just bait. In Westernport I don't fish for KGW without burley.

On another species of whiting do you get sand whiting where you are on the lakes?
I wasn't using burley today. I do often use it and we do on the charter boat. Mostly I use all my old fish frames in a bag, sometimes with some crushed mussels. They didn't need much encouragement today.
Around Nungurner the sand/school whiting are often very thick. They don't seem to go as far up the system as the KGW.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:27 pm

When you eat them can you let us know if they taste a bit muddy i got a few 2 weeks ago back of Raymond Island and they tasted like mullet
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 pm

Already ate some. They are excellent. Same as the ones caught at Nungurner

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:02 pm

Thanks for the report! My in-laws have just purchased a place in Paynesville with a mooring so I’m glad to see KGW on the doorstep!

Hopefully the skill set from Westernport transfers over smoothly.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”