KGW Gippsland Lakes

tom_snowball
Has liked: 1 time

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by tom_snowball » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm

Sadly, our week in Metung has ended. We fished Woolaston again on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Averaged 12 KGW each day. Wind came up on Friday and we had the whole bay to ourselves. Saturday morning was very frustrating. We fished just south of the famous white buoy. There were 2 locals less than 50 metres from us catching fish after fish whilst we struggled to catch a couple. They bagged out (40) in 3 hours and left them biting. We moved closer to their patch and finally ended up with 13. The size and quality of the fish is really encouraging. Up to 43cm, and some really chunky fish. We have seen a gradual increase in the size and quality of the KGW over the last 2 years. A really positive sign for the future. A quick visit to Paynesville after fishing for a spot of koala spotting and some fish and chips. A couple of Tailor landed of Shaving Point on the way back to Metung. Time to book another trip on Feb/March.
Attachments
D505DB77-7B80-4A25-9950-FB450FAFBFC7.jpeg
EDCBF87A-01DC-43CA-8AE4-B73D36EA65A0.jpeg
802D0DE5-7EAE-4B7C-8339-F4001E9A7A38.jpeg
802D0DE5-7EAE-4B7C-8339-F4001E9A7A38.jpeg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 911 times

Pirkz
Has liked: 228 times

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:09 pm

Glad you caught as its been pretty quiet in Wollaston the last few days. The marker has its own history and has been found in someone elses boat ( not the owners) at least once ha ha. But thats fishing.Spent 30 mins briefing some visitors from Werribee, wherever that is, on the local hotspots today at the Fort King jetty . They blanked despite fishing near The Marker. But found the Metung pub late on so all good. Out tomorrow fishing up at Flanagan's Island- 5 am planned - 8 am more realistic .47cm KGW best reported from up that way....
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:20 pm

tom_snowball wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm
Sadly, our week in Metung has ended. We fished Woolaston again on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Averaged 12 KGW each day. Wind came up on Friday and we had the whole bay to ourselves. Saturday morning was very frustrating. We fished just south of the famous white buoy. There were 2 locals less than 50 metres from us catching fish after fish whilst we struggled to catch a couple. They bagged out (40) in 3 hours and left them biting. We moved closer to their patch and finally ended up with 13. The size and quality of the fish is really encouraging. Up to 43cm, and some really chunky fish. We have seen a gradual increase in the size and quality of the KGW over the last 2 years. A really positive sign for the future. A quick visit to Paynesville after fishing for a spot of koala spotting and some fish and chips. A couple of Tailor landed of Shaving Point on the way back to Metung. Time to book another trip on Feb/March.
Some very nice quality fish there mate!
Well done 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Pirkz
Has liked: 228 times

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:21 pm

Fished multiple times over the last week with disappointing results compared to previous outings. After a donut day in Wollaston on Thu, motored up to the Barrier on Fri and watched on as others close by caught whilst I didn't, (what a difference 10 m makes) and then tried Flannagan's for nowt on the run home. And it was the same story on Sunday in Woolston - Multiple moves resulted in a grand total of 1 KGW from the Red Peg!
Though a bit despondent I was determined not to be beaten and was afloat again yesterday for a few hours from 8am ( actually all day!) and managed to get 6 up to 42 cm with 3 good uns dropped at or on the way to the net and a lone 30 cm bream (returned). Had to move around a lot but found fishing a light running trace and prawn/pipi accurately over a fairly small gravelly patch between weed beds seemed to work OK. Kept the biggest for T and donated the other 5 to ever grateful neighbours. Best part of the week was doing a bit of sight fishing by drifting over the shallows North of Raymond Island until I saw movement then anchoring up for a flick in 1.5m, and eventually weedling out 3 KGW to 37cm on the float and pipi . Proves that they move about and are quite widespread subject to a suitable habitat. UK on Thu so no fishing for a few weeks. Tight Lines all and I look forward to reading a few posts.
Pirkz
Attachments
6kgwmarker65on30jan.jpg

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:01 am

Yeah ,I have been out a few times and had between 1 and 3 each time. Fish are scattered thinly.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 am

Can anyone give me an update on the Algae situation around Lakes entrance
Tia

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pm

Gave my new (to me) tinny a try-out fishing around Fraser Is this morning ending up with no monsters but 7 KGW from 32 to 35 cm - all on prawn and ignored mussels, squid and clams - and one salmon. Returned another dozen or smaller whiting and the Toadies were a serious problem. After 4 hours no bait left - anyway really enjoyed the outing.

Paul

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:42 am

Nice catch of kgw!
Enjoy the feed mate 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Re: WEEDY WHITING

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:45 pm

Well I visited Fraser Is again yesterday with half a dozen a bit larger keepers and a nice Flathead. The catch (and release) of the day though was a 30cm bright blue Weedy Whiting - amazing colour!
Attachments
WEEDY WHITING.jpeg

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: WEEDY WHITING

Post by re-tyred » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:55 pm

Paulanderson wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:45 pm
Well I visited Fraser Is again yesterday with half a dozen a bit larger keepers and a nice Flathead. The catch (and release) of the day though was a 30cm bright blue Weedy Whiting - amazing colour!
Wow never seen one before
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”