Lakes entrance - land based fishing and crabbing suggestions

sweetstarneon

Re: Lakes entrance - land based fishing and crabbing suggestions

Post by sweetstarneon » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi re-tyred and everyone else, many thanks for your posts and tips.

Anything involving boats is a no-go for our travelling party.

Is it better to go crabbing in the morning or evening? Does the wind direction or weather temperature play a part in catching crabs? Or just tides only?

Any suggested baits to use for crabbing? Have the lakes entrance crabs graduated to gourmet food?

When i went about 5 years ago, i did find that there were more crabs around when it was sunny and warm. Not much after a cool change or cloudy weather.

Many thanks once again.

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:41 am

If you are contemplating hiring a boat or similar may I suggest you go on a local charter instead? For example, Ricky from Lakes Charter fishing WILL get you fish or if you prefer crabbing. No affiliation, he is a damn fine young bloke & not expensive for (basically) a guaranteed catch :)
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

mr smokey

Post by mr smokey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:43 am

Whoops, should have read the post. NO BOATS :) :)
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:58 am

You know, if crabs is all you want and experience is not something you have for that location then I suggest you give it a miss and just enjoy the company of your friends in that area. Lakes Entrance is a beautiful location not just for its crabbing but just a peaceful get away paradise. Fishing is a bonus but don't expect it to be successful all the time. I haven't been back there in years but we used to be able to catch prawns too, the small jettys around there produces trevalys and salmons. Goodluck and have fun

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 am

Land based crabbing you really only have two places. Bullock island jetty and Kalimna jetty. Chicken is ok but fish frames are better. If you want fish frames go the the boat ramp as the boats come in from fishing. If people are filleting their fish just ask them for the frames. The secret of crabbing is not to keep pulling the net up every couple of minutes. Leave them in at least 10 minutes.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

mr smokey

Post by mr smokey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:39 am

The town wharves & jetties are always worth a try. Surprising what they sometimes come up with (other times nothing) but Lakes is just the best place to come down to just for the fresh air, nice people & it is now getting busier thank goodness. Come down, enjoy :) :)
― Terry Pratchett

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:47 am

You could give the beach a go as well. I went fishing at Eastern Beach a couple of weeks ago and got a feed of Salmon with some sand crabs as bycatch as well.

sweetstarneon

Post by sweetstarneon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi everyone, i just have a final question. What lures would i need to use to catch king off the footbridge at Cunningham’s arm? What about other types of fish? Many thanks in advance

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 am

Bibbed hard bodies seem to work best. Anything from 70- 150mm. 30lb line as they go hard. I have seen them caught on large soft plastics and live baits too.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

sweetstarneon

Post by sweetstarneon » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi everyone

Just thought I’d give an update on my weekend in Lakes Entrance.

I didn’t do any fishing on this trip, so can’t help people much, unfortunately. To give some context, my weekend was 2-3 days before the full moon.

1. Managed to catch some crabs in Bullock Island. Both the reeves landing jetty and near the entrance on bullock island had crabs. They were small and not very big (compared to February/March). I went in the morning (around high tide). Caught more sand crabs at the start, but as the morning went on, caught less sand crabs and more of the red shore crabs. Hardly caught any European shore crabs

2. I was told that there were bigger crabs later in the evening around sunset (8pm to 9pm). Try the reeves landing jetty

3. During the times I was there, no one caught fish off bullock island (which was evening and early morning-ish before 9am), including the jetty. However, was told that a few fish were caught off bullock island towards sunset.

A factor in the lack of success in the morning was that we saw at least 1 dolphin hanging around bullock island near the entrance.

4. I saw more crabs being caught on the right hand side of the reeves landing jetty (compared to the left hand side).

5. I observed people catching decent sized flathead at Lake Tyers. Unfortunately, cannot tell you where at lake Tyers they caught them.

6. There are plenty of red shore crabs hanging around in the shallows as you are walking along the shoreline towards jemney’s point. You can easily get them with a long stick and “drag” them out of the water. They aren’t very big though. Some are an okay size. Much easier to get them this way when compared to using a crab net off bullock island.

7. Dredging is taking place off bullock island - more closer to the reeves landing jetty side, but it’s not that close

Regarding prawns, my conclusion is that there aren’t many around - if any. The fishing trawlers had no fresh prawns for sale.

Enjoy the week and tight lines. :wt:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”