8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance 16/09/20

Post by 4liters » Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:12 am
I have been stuck by bull eye gurnard many times. In my Danish seine commercial fishing days it was one of the common hazards. The things we found were. If you wear gloves, even though the spines go through , it reduces the slime and the effect is 90% less. If you do get one. Hot water and take a good look to see if the spine broke off in your hand. If it did get it out, even if it hurts like hell. The really bad cases often have a piece of spine in there.
Is it just the spines on the dorsal fin that are venomous? Or do the spines on the other fins and on the gill plates do it as well?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance 16/09/20

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 23, 2021 6:03 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:12 am
I have been stuck by bull eye gurnard many times. In my Danish seine commercial fishing days it was one of the common hazards. The things we found were. If you wear gloves, even though the spines go through , it reduces the slime and the effect is 90% less. If you do get one. Hot water and take a good look to see if the spine broke off in your hand. If it did get it out, even if it hurts like hell. The really bad cases often have a piece of spine in there.
Is it just the spines on the dorsal fin that are venomous? Or do the spines on the other fins and on the gill plates do it as well?
They will all give you a bit of curry, but the top ones are the real bad ones
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance 22/05/2021

Post by Kimtown » Mon May 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Elmer Stratty wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 pm
Well, made it back off shore at Lakes today. Cracking weather after a pretty chilly pre-dawn run up the highway with the dash showing -1c for a lot of the journey.

Arrived in time for sunrise at Newlands, put in and cruised to the Entrance. Headed straight to 8 Mile past 8 or so boats near 6 mile. Had the reef to ourselves and was soon onto a good patch of pinkies.

Ended up with a dozen pinkies, a good sized flatty and a decent Ling. My other half landed a unknown fish which we released, later to find it was a silver dory and pretty good eating by all accounts.

Headed in shallower to try for a gummy but no luck. Lunch at the Barrier and back to Newlands to throw the boat on the trailer and head home.

Don’t mind the 200 series/GK combo

Don’t mind it at all.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”