8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 56 times

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance 16/09/20

Post by Elmer Stratty » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:04 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm
Spent a couple of hours out there this morning.
Jealous! I knew it was going to be a good day out there....should of had a sickie :oo:

Now I’ve got three days off and the wind forecast doesn’t look too good. :(

E

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Yes I have been sick and tired of the Wind during the day lately seriously considering sitting out on the reef at night-time
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Elmer Stratty

Post by Elmer Stratty » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Shot back out yesterday to 8 Mile - waste of fuel :-( only got gurnards and Sgt Bakers. Mrs E got a cod which went back. Then tried 6 Mile- more #&$@&%$ Gurnards....so we came in. A few silver wiring for next trip’s bait and that was it.

E

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Yeah we have it a go a few days ago for 2 flatties 1 mowong 1 nanigai . Remote has wide pipeline is the go. Unless you want to catch KGW up the lake.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 am

Good post. If this wind drops off we will be out there tomorrow (Wed 18th). Usually stick to the 6 mile but my venture out further. I don't mind the Bernard the Gurnards as they are nice eating once you peel them. BTW, if you aren't aware, if you get stuck with a spike, hot water (as hot as you can stand) will relieve the pain.
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:12 am

I have been stuck by bull eye gurnard many times. In my Danish seine commercial fishing days it was one of the common hazards. The things we found were. If you wear gloves, even though the spines go through , it reduces the slime and the effect is 90% less. If you do get one. Hot water and take a good look to see if the spine broke off in your hand. If it did get it out, even if it hurts like hell. The really bad cases often have a piece of spine in there.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am

My fishing plans this week are Whiting tomorrow. Around the tide change after lunch. Snapper gummy fishing Thursday wide pipeline. 40mtrs

Elmer Stratty

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance 22/05/2021

Post by Elmer Stratty » Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 pm

Well, made it back off shore at Lakes today. Cracking weather after a pretty chilly pre-dawn run up the highway with the dash showing -1c for a lot of the journey.

Arrived in time for sunrise at Newlands, put in and cruised to the Entrance. Headed straight to 8 Mile past 8 or so boats near 6 mile. Had the reef to ourselves and was soon onto a good patch of pinkies.

Ended up with a dozen pinkies, a good sized flatty and a decent Ling. My other half landed a unknown fish which we released, later to find it was a silver dory and pretty good eating by all accounts.

Headed in shallower to try for a gummy but no luck. Lunch at the Barrier and back to Newlands to throw the boat on the trailer and head home.

denis barden

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance

Post by denis barden » Sun May 23, 2021 2:33 am

Lou King Good

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: 8 Mile Reef - Lakes Entrance 22/05/2021

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Elmer Stratty wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 pm
Well, made it back off shore at Lakes today. Cracking weather after a pretty chilly pre-dawn run up the highway with the dash showing -1c for a lot of the journey.

Arrived in time for sunrise at Newlands, put in and cruised to the Entrance. Headed straight to 8 Mile past 8 or so boats near 6 mile. Had the reef to ourselves and was soon onto a good patch of pinkies.

Ended up with a dozen pinkies, a good sized flatty and a decent Ling. My other half landed a unknown fish which we released, later to find it was a silver dory and pretty good eating by all accounts.

Headed in shallower to try for a gummy but no luck. Lunch at the Barrier and back to Newlands to throw the boat on the trailer and head home.

Nice looking catch there.
Great pics!
Cheers 👍🏻

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”