Venus Bay

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Venus Bay

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Hit the beach at Venus Bay just before sunrise this morning looking together on the scoreboard after the lockdown. Tide was all the out, slight wind over my shoulder and had the whole joint to myself. I found a promising gutter and waded out just above my knees in the chilly water and started casting metal lures. Ten minutes of nothing and suddenly the Salmon turned up, loads of fun for the next 25 minutes as I landed 8 and lost 4 at my feet. Fish ranged from about 30cm to 45 cm but I lost a big bruiser just before I beached him. Easily 50 plus but really thick, I almost managed to grab him by the tail but he got away. Not sure about the galvanised trebles that come with the lures. Do blokes on here have trouble with fish spitting them out? Anyway, the fish disappeared just as hyperthermia started to set in, I should get waders I reckon, so home I went. No pictures because my bag was about 75 meters away and I’m stuffed if I’m walking that far to get a picture of an average Salmon. All up it was great to get out and amongst it.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Venus Bay

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Nice work man, spinning for salmon is a heap of fun.

If you have a look through some of the older posts on here you'll see a bunch of advise for spinning for salmon (especially from dougiek and carlg). I'll have a crack at summarising it here. Singles are definitely better than trebles for landing fish and I honestly don't think there is a difference in hook up rate, some guys run assists and say they are better again but I've never used them to comment. Fight the fish with a low rod angle to try and keep them in the water, pack light and move around to find the fish you really only need a handful of spare lures, bit of leader and some pliers. Definitely missed something but that covers the basics.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 pm

Great report Troy well done. I heard the EPs were biting today
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Good stuff Troy
Nothing wrong with 8 salmon (food or bait ????)
6° and a breeze, better man than me
Gra

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:06 pm

I think I will go with the single hook, can’t hurt to try anyway.
I had a quick flick yesterday arvo at a few spots in Anderson’s inlet but didn’t get a touch. Lots of people down there this weekend, plenty of salmon caught on bait but I didn’t hear of any Perch but I’m sure some were caught. Quite a few boats and yaks out yesterday.

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:07 pm

I let them all go Tex, if I stayed another night I’d probably keep a few for bait though.

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Post by samjas1316 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:46 pm

Good to hear you got onto some fish Troy. We were in Inverloch for the weekend (we were one of those lots of people down there for the weekend!) and gave the EPs a red hot go in the Tarwin.

Troy McLure wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:06 pm
I think I will go with the single hook, can’t hurt to try anyway.
I had a quick flick yesterday arvo at a few spots in Anderson’s inlet but didn’t get a touch. Lots of people down there this weekend, plenty of salmon caught on bait but I didn’t hear of any Perch but I’m sure some were caught. Quite a few boats and yaks out yesterday.
Not by us. Fished the afternoon high tides in the Tarwin from the ramp down to the mouth Saturday and Sunday. Could not find them. Should've gone above the bridge or the islands? Even tried the morning low tide landbased around the bridge, the platforms and the rock wall yesterday.

Maybe a combination of big tides and recent rains, but the river looked dirtier than usual. Next time I'll have a plan B when plan A doesn't work!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:50 pm

Good stuff mate!
Sounds like a really fun session. I love spinning for salmon with metals as well!
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:59 pm

I think you need a yak or tinny to go upstream of the bridge, it’s on my to do list. I study google earth and walk around the area looking for access to the Tarwin land based but unfortunately they are few and far between, the platforms are ok but are usually full on weekends.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Nice!
Single hook is harder to come off. But harder to get a hookup. Treble is easier to come off, they're designed to get hooked on anywhere. Single hook jaw hookup stays on better.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”